c h a p t e r t w e n t y o n e

chapter twenty-one: CLOSURE CAME UNEXPECTEDLY

"YOU OKAY? YOU LOOK like a mess," Connell pointed out the same night while driving me back to Nate's

"YOU OKAY? YOU LOOK like a mess," Connell pointed out the same night while driving me back to Nate's. I actually did look like a mess; I checked my image in the mirror before leaving my parents' home. My head was hurting, my nose felt stuffed, and I felt unnaturally cold. I was wearing a turtleneck and a knit cardigan on top of it because it was just so cold.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said. "Probably just a fever. I wasn't outside in a long time, so maybe my immune system isn't as immune as it should be."

Connell shrugged, "Maybe I should take you to a doctor."

I shook my head, "No way. I just need to lay down a little, that's all."

I hated doctors. And waiting rooms. And I knew all of this was because staying at my parents' home stressed me out so much. Now I just wanted to see Nate.

When we got home and Connell brought my bags up, I said, "I'm going to take a shower. I don't feel so well."

Connell watched me suspiciously, "You sure you don't wanna go to a doctor?"

"No, no, it's fine."

I was starting to feel so hot I took off both the turtleneck and the cardigan and slid under a cold-water wave in the shower. It made me feel slightly better but while standing in the cabin I began feeling very dizzy.

Then I heard a knock on the door and a painfully and excruciatingly familiar voice say, "Hey, Cassie, it's me." I knew who it was. "Connell said you weren't feeling alright. When you come out, can we talk? I have to tell you something."

He didn't sound angry. His voice was soft and careful as if he were speaking to a wounded child.

"Okay," I said, praying he heard me. I almost fainted then and there because of my head spinning devilishly.

I was curious – and scared – of what Nate had to say, so I quickly finished washing up, jumped out of a shower, wrap a towel around my body, and opened the door.

Nate seemed like a being from a different reality. He was so beautiful, so perfect, sculpted by gods themselves. He looked me up and down and frowned.

"How are you feeling?" he asked suspiciously.

I swallowed, "Better?" That was not an answer.

He stood up from the armchair he was sitting in and took a couple of steps toward me. After a blink he was already towering over me, his nostrils flaring.

"Cassie, are you going to tell me what's happening?"

I swallowed again, "Listen, I— I think I should shower—"

He leaned closer. His pupils were dilating more and more every second.

"You just showered."

"Yes, but..."