c h a p t e r t w e n t y t h r e e

chapter twenty-three: NATE COMES TO TERMS WITH CERTAIN THINGS

The first morning of driving her to her college campus was hell for Nate

The first morning of driving her to her college campus was hell for Nate. He drove her himself because he didn't trust anyone else to do it, and, by the way, it was his responsibility to take care of Cassie, as he had promised her. But it was a million times harder to do it himself because he had to be one to smile and let her out of his car, and say, see you in the evening, and come to terms with the fact she will be away for the next six to seven hours, and for exactly this amount of time he will not have her at hands reach. That thought was the most devastating.

He was trying his best to not groan when he had to let her hop out of his car. Cassie gave him her best I love you so much and I'm so happy smile—and all the angst he felt subsided for a moment. He wished her a good day and she said she couldn't wait to meet him in the evening.

Afterward, they went to visit Maddy and her newborn baby in the hospital. It was truly a sight to behold—his sister, all happy and glowing, with a tiny crying creature in her hands. Cassie cried as she had promised him, but no one dared judge her for that.

It was really hard for him to get used to the whole new routine for the first few days. But the more times he left her alone on campus, the more time he spent alone in his office, the less time he felt distracted, and slowly but surely, he grew to think of their time apart not as a punishment for him, for what he did, but more of as a healthy time in a day for a couple to spend separately from one another. He was getting used to it quite well, he really was.

But that one night made it a million times harder for him to let her be away for so long every single day.

It was the weekend and Nate had woken up a few hours earlier to get some work done before Cassie awoke. He was in his office, and it was already late morning when he heard a soft knock on the door.

It's her. His heart fluttered traitorously.

"Come in," he said.

The door opened and Cassie fluttered in, a happy smile on her face, her hands behind her back. She was wearing a light-blue puffed sleeved top and a pleated white skirt that rippled as she walked.

"Hello," she said, smiling. She closed the door behind her and moved swiftly toward his desk.

He couldn't help but smile – he was a lost man, "Good morning."

He thought she would sit on the chair in front of him, where she usually sat, but instead she kept walking around the desk to him and he instinctively shifted away from the desk, with his thighs exposed, as if he was ready for her to sit on his lap. But she stood to a stop a mere step away.

He was still smiling, "Are you here to tell me to get out of this cave and give you attention?" he asked.

Her smile grew wider, eyes glimmering, "Maybe," she said, swaying sideways. "But for now I have something more important to tell you."