Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve:

Revelations

"So I heard that Dante wants to take you guys out on a field trip."

The room distorted the voice of the person that spoke in the way that all indoor pools did. At the same time it echoed perhaps more than was natural as the shape of the room with its large domed ceiling would have made for great acoustics. While the white stone walls looked ribbed, the stone floors looked like black marble that had all been cut out as one piece with no mortar to be seen. Even the pools seemed seamlessly added in as there was no way to distinguish from the multiple sized pools in the area from a distance.

Ivy and Mari looked over to the man that spoke. He had set his helmet down near the front of the room. Which meant that they could see that his light auburn hair was pulled back away from his face and the knowing look that paraded all over his genuine smile. He had high cheekbones, a strong jaw, and rather expressive eyebrows above his playful green eyes. There was something informal in the way he held himself which only became more apparent as he squatted down next to the poolside.

"Are you girls excited?" the green eyed man asked.

"Of course we are Jussy! I'll finally get to do what I've always wanted!"

Neither girl could speak openly and honestly at the moment even if they were talking to Dante's best friend - Justin. Both Mari and Ivy knew intrinsically that any suspicion coming from them this close to freedom would be bad. Everything had to be coded in some way lest they were overheard.

"Maybe Dante will loosen the reins a bit more and you'll get to have fun," Justin said with a wink.

"You couldn't pay me to go out and do what you think is fun."

"And how would you know? you were fifteen when you got here," Justin challenged. "You have to actually try something to know if you like it or not."

Ivy commented with an eager look, "We'll have to wait until after the mission is complete. Can't have anything messing with the plans."

"Speaking of — I saw that you got a new Unit mate."

"Jussy," Ivy called out warningly. "Leave Razy alone. She doesn't need you getting her in trouble."

"Who says I'll get her in trouble?"

Both girls just stared at him. Ivy looked angry while Mari just had a judgemental look. The moment he tried to say anything else to assure the girls of his innocence, Mari kicked her legs a bit too hard and splashed him up to his knees. Completely on accident of course. He chuckled at the antics, flicking his hand in the water to splash back at her. The odd thing was that afterwards, as the water started to soak into his pants, Justin angled his head as though listening to someone behind him or as though he were trying to make a difficult choice quickly. He suddenly stood up from his spot by the pool and took a step back.

"Time for you girls to hit the showers."