Chapter 6

Chapter Six:

At Ease

"Come with me. I need to start some paperwork on you and I am going to need you to answer a few questions to make this process easier and faster."

Razaria looked up at the man interrupting her break. She suddenly realized how tall he actually was. Like she'd seen him plenty of times before (at meals, in their room, training, when he was escorting her) but something about sitting on a tall couch and having him stand over her made it seem that much more apparent. She wasn't even that short either - she was taller than average at 5'7" but he made her feel small. Dante was easily over six foot by a couple of inches with the shoulder expanse to match. Pretty boy or not, he was making her feel frail and she was not 100% on board with that given everything that had happened last week. Six days was barely enough time to get over a normal argument; she wasn't exactly over him putting her through hell. The reminder of his physical dominance over her didn't help her let go of all that.

"Okay," she replied sourly. "Let go."

Dante let go as he rolled his eyes, putting his helmet back on. They walked side by side down the long stretch of hall. The lights were now very dim and barely anyone was in the vicinity making their footsteps echo loudly as they walked along. Dante didn't say a word the entire time he was leading the way. It was eerie how quiet the imposing man was. When they stopped at a door, one that looked like all the others she had seen, Dante paused for a retinal scan.

Once on the other side, the entire vibe of the place changed. The once smooth ground was now carpeted in the corridor. The carpet was so thick that it muffled the footsteps of anyone who may have been walking to their own room. The walls were no longer dull white or cold metal. There was richly colored wood paneling on the bottom and a warm cream colored paint job above that. The style of the hallway reminded Razaria of an old college dormitory. All along the hallway were doors, each numbered in mother of pearl. Dante led her all the way to the end of the hall where there was a door with the number 16.

He paused only briefly to lay his hand at the side of the door. There was a small moment where the wall under his hand seemed to ripple before the door automatically slid open. Unlike the ones she'd seen for her own Unit door, this one didn't come with a gridwork of lasers. Which was already an improvement if she had to say so. Dante moved aside, ushering her in, before walking in himself. The door closed behind him silently. Dante turned the lights on slowly so that she could actually see what was around her. As she took in his personal space, Razaria could practically feel her body letting out a whole hearted sigh. Finally, some place that seemed familiar. Some place that seemed real.

The room was about the same size as the one she, Ivy, Mari, and Candice had been sharing. There was a room in the corner that she assumed was a bathroom. To the side of that was a small kitchen done entirely out of natural wood and colored concrete. Though the concrete looked suspiciously like marble the closer she got. Razaria twirled her finger over the built in wet bar and turned back around to look at the rest of the room, resting on her elbows as she leaned against the cool surface. The rest of the room seemed to be done in green with a modern theme. There was a desk with a glass top sporting an impressive looking computer system (along with random food containers he seemed to have forgotten to throw away), a small sitting area with rich leather, and a bed adorned with a green and black bed set that she just knew was going to be soft and plush.