Chapter 15 - Foe and Friend

A/N Just real quick. I wasn't sure whether or not this chapter needed a trigger warning but with those warnings I always think it's better to have too many of it rather than not enough. 

So yeah, TRIGGER WARNING for this chapter.

I had woken up what felt like hours ago. It probably had not even been one. But together with my initial shock of waking up in a dark, almost windowless room, the fact that my ankles and wrists were tied to the chair I was sitting in by tape made me almost go crazy with fear. I didn't know what to do. I felt useless. I was useless. I had called out a few times but with no result. There was no one here. I was all alone.

From the little light the tiny window on the opposite side of the room let in I could gather that it was still daytime. If it was the same day I had been attacked in the parking lot I had no clue. But the sun was beginning to set and it didn't help my jumble of emotions at all.

In a vain attempt to calm myself down I had started to take these measured yoga breaths I had learned to do in high school. It did make my fear subside just a bit but it was soon replaced by an undeniable sense of unrest. The rational part of my brain that wouldn't listen to my plead to not let me think about what might have happened, realized that there was no way I had come here on my own. And while that was obvious, consciously thinking about it suddenly made it a reality. Someone had taken me to this room and tied me to this chair. And that someone was likely to show their face at some point.

When the room darkened noticeably because night time was getting closer by the minute, my body started to react as well. I had never been afraid of the dark but honestly, who actually likes it? I certainly didn't. It made me want to check every corner just in case there was something there. It didn't make any sense really. Even if I was to see anything, what could I really do? Maybe I could start screaming a few seconds earlier and have my life flash by my eyes a few moments longer. I shook my head. Stop it. Stop thinking about this.

Just in that moment, the door opened. My whole body went rigid.

In the door stood a man that was not very tall and at first glance, not very intimidating. He was wearing grey sweat pants with a black hoody and a shirt underneath. On his feet were socks and slippers. Had I seen him in his garden on my way to university, I would have probably guessed he was preparing for a few hours of gardening. Now, I wasn't so sure what exactly he was preparing for.

I couldn't take my eyes off him. Trying not to look him in the eyes, afraid of it just stirring on my fear even more, I stared at his chest instead. My heart beat began picking up speed when he started walking towards me. Still, I kept my eyes on his chest. I wanted to know where he was. It made me feel this one slither of a bit safer. And even though it didn't do much, it was at least something. A fake sense of control over the situation.

Then he walked past me.

Below the window, right across from me, was another chair - this one without restraints. He sat down, facing me. His legs were crossed and his hands were neatly folded in his lap. He sat still, didn't move even one muscle. I couldn't even hear him. Had I not seen him, I wouldn't have noticed him being there. In comparison, my breathing suddenly seemed to fill the whole room with noise, effectively making me lose my inexistent cool even more. This was what a cornered animal must be feeling like.

Suddenly, I felt his eyes on me more intensely than before. Daring to look up, I noticed a polite smile on his face. Paired with his eyes pressed in slits though, it was scary. It felt like a well practiced mask he could put on whenever he wanted. It felt like he could have manipulated me had I not already been at his mercy.