Chapter 61 - Airports

I feel as if I'm running out of things to say. There's a lot more you don't know and even more I want to explain, but it's so hard to do this way. I want to avoid any misunderstandings at all cost and I want to make sure you understand everything. So please do bare with me. I wish you could ask questions too, I wish I could answer them.

I also wish I could tell you where I am, but I won't. But know this, leaving and suddenly being in another place was hard. I felt disoriented and scared, simply because everything was unknown, everything and everyone was a stranger. It's a privilege to know and to have habits, I only ever realised that once I came here.

Maybe that alone was a good enough reason to leave, who knows?

I was sitting in the back of the rented car, listening to Citty and Oliver bicker over silly things in the front. I smiled a little.

Not for the first time I thought about how perfect they would be for each other. They could help each other. Realistically, they were probably exactly what the other needed most at the moment. But that was pure fantasy. Oliver was gay and Citty was in a relationship with an abusive vampire.

It was one of the smaller reasons I was glad to get away, too. While here, it bugged me so much that I could not do more than watch her go back to him every single time and then return with more scars. I wanted her to stop seeing him, but I knew it was futile.

On the way out of town towards the closest airport, we had to drive past my house. I watched from inside the car how it came closer by the second, and then just passed, like all the other, unimportant buildings.

"Wait!" I hadn't even realised I'd said it out loud until the car immediately came to a shaky stop.

"What the hell, Duncan?!" was Citty's stressed response.

"Sorry, just... I'll be right back." With that I jumped out of the car without waiting for either of them to answer.

I didn't want to go back for anyone, but I knew there was something there that I needed.

My mother wasn't home, which, in this case, was an absolute blessing.

I quickly got the key where I had left it and let myself in, immediately rushing to my room, eyes focused on the window sill the moment I entered.

There was an envelope there again.

I hadn't doubted it at all, but just seeing it made my resolve to leave even stronger.

My hands shakily picked it up. There was no way I was waiting until I was back in the car, let alone at the airport or in the plane.

It was a short letter this time, there was nothing there that was new or shocking anymore. At this point, he was just repeating things he had told me before, warning me, reassuring me. They were all good things, but I honestly didn't listen to a single thing he was advising me to do. I wanted to make these decisions myself, being fully aware that I had to live with the consequences.

I quickly folded it once, then put it in the pocket of my jacket.

While walking out, I thought I heard footsteps somewhere in the house, but I disregarded it as pure imagination. And even if she was home, I would leave either way. She couldn't forcefully keep me here anymore.

So I kept my head high, walking out without rushing, if just to prove to myself that I could do it.

Neither Citty nor Oliver asked my what I had been doing when I got back to the car, and I was glad for that. They would have likely chastised me for it, because it was just a letter.