Chapters 71-80

Chapter 71: Acrid encounter with a poisoned tongue

The empress had paved the way for the empress dowager to naturally follow. "Look at that, I was so happy today that I forgot about this troublesome thing."

Han Yunxi smiled coldly in her heart and didn't speak, allowing the mother and daughter in-law to sing and act out their own play.

"Imperial Mother, I say that let's not recognize her as an adopted daughter. We're all one family, so as long as you dote on Yunxi and have her visit often, it's all the same." The empress spoke in such a carefree manner that it didn't even seem to be a big deal.

The empress dowager nodded her head. "Well, that's all right. Yunxi, what do you think?"

"Everything will be as the empress dowager decides. The Duke of Qin is preoccupied with affairs of state, so chenqie won't trouble him." Of course Han Yunxi had to express an opinion. Even if she wasn't relying on the empress dowager, she wouldn't slight her to the level of a criminal offense.

Han Yunxi's words allowed the empress dowager to smile with difficulty. "Hehe, you really are an obedient child." Since matters had ended like this, it was inconvenient for Han Yunxi to linger. She exchanged some polite civilities before rising and taking her leave.

As soon as she left, the empress dowager's face fell as she swept her gaze across Han Yunxi's teacup. "That thing can't tell good from bad!"

"Imperial Mother, don't get mad. It's not worth harming your body with your temper. Chenqie has long said that this girl isn't simple. In the future, we'll have to take it into consideration," the empress soothed the empress dowager.

"Hmph, that disgraceful girl can't tell between the height of the Heavens and the depths of the Earth. For me to use her is showing her favor, but she had the guts to refuse! Just let her wait, one day I'll make her regret it! I just don't believe that she can live well in the Duke of Qin's household! She was lucky this time, but she better not fall into my hands next time!"

The empress dowager really was angry. She really didn't expect Han Yunxi to refuse and couldn't calm herself down for a long time...

Han Yunxi only thought of the whole thing as a joke, but she finally exhaled in relief after leaving the palace. When she passed by the Han house on the road, she halted for a long time. The Han Family in the capital weren't descendants of aristocrats, but still commanded prestige as an old and well-known family.

Currently, its vermillion gates were shut tight and everything looked peaceful, but Han Yunxi knew that once Han Congan was indicted tomorrow, this family would fall into chaos and ruin. The memories of this body kept floating to the surface of her mind. They were all childhood recollections of bullying, shame, and humiliation. Although they were memories of the original person, they'd long joined this body to become her everything and her past.

Everything was as vivid and real as if it happened yesterday.

A long time later, Han Yunxi smiled coldly as she turned to walk away.

--

It was already the dead of night when Han Yunxi returned to the Duke of Qin's residence. She wasn't even sure if she could knock on the door, but she saw lights in the windows from a distance. Those in the main hall shone the brightest. Her heart filled with misgivings. Had something happened in the middle of the night? With Grand Concubine Yi's personality, she'd rarely miss her beauty sleep! Even if the skies were falling, she might not stay up all night!

Or had something happened to Long Feiye?

Han Yunxi couldn't help but wonder if they were waiting for her?