Chapters 41-50

Chapter 41: Urgent business, her countermeasure

"It's urgent business, isn't it? If it's that important I won't blame this girl. Whatever has happened?" Grand Concubine Yi feigned an expression of amazement.

The empress only pretended not to hear as she continued to school Princess Changping. "Since Qin Wangfei and the Duke of Qin are both out, you should look for your father, the emperor. Have him summon the Duke of Qin back, surely he has ways to find him." When she finished, the empress gave Grand Concubine Yi a significant look. "Wouldn't you say so, Grand Imperial Concubine?"

One side menaced with the Duke of Qin while the other side put on pressure with the emperor. All the people present quaked where they stood as their hearts pounded. Princess Changping seemed to have woken up from her muddled thinking with pleasure. "Right! I'll ask imperial father, this time he'll definitely help me!"

Grand Concubine Yi understood the empress's personality. With her status, she never spoke impulsively. To mention the emperor in this conversation meant that Princess Changping's business really was very serious; at least, she had enough certainty to bother the busy emperor with her affairs.

"Muhou, let's go! We'll take the carriage and find father immediately!" Princess Changping was very excited as she tugged at the empress.

With that Grand Concubine Yi grew anxious. If this had been any other day, it wouldn't matter; any excuse would do to surrender Han Yunxi. But right now Han Yunxi was locked in the woodhouse, nearly starved to death. If news of this spread and made their family scandal public, where could she show her face afterwards?! Just when Grand Concubine Yi was about to speak up, Murong Wanru opened her mouth instead.

"Esteemed Empress, Princess Changping, please wait!"

The empress had long expected this and tugged Princess Changping back to wait. She did her best to keep harem matters away from the emperor--one of the main reasons why he favored her so much. Murong Wanru hastily went forward to pay her respects.

"Esteemed Empress, Princess Changping, actually the Qin wangfei returned last night. Except, mufei only came back from her other estate today and wasn't aware. I didn't tell her in time, so this is all my fault."

With Murong Wanru giving her the chance to get out of an awkward situation. Grand Concubine Yi was no longer so embarrassed. She hastily said, "She's returned? Why didn't you tell me so earlier? Princess Changping has urgent matters, what if we delayed her?"

"It was daughter's oversight," Murong Wanru lowered her head, looking appropriately remorseful and conscience-stricken.

Grand Concubine Yi didn't even give the empress and Princess Changping a chance to speak as she hurried on, "Empress, Changping, sit awhile. I'll find her for you personally."

Princess Changping wasn't satisfied, but the empress silenced her with one look. "Then we'll have to trouble Grand Imperial Concubine."

When Grand Concubine Yi turned back, she was still smiling and self-possessed, but after leaving with Murong Wanru her face was drenched in anxiety, such an ugly and horrific sight! If it wasn't for Murong Wanru just then, she might've never had the chance to get off her high perch. Who knew how much disgrace she might've suffered?

"Just what is going on here?!" Grand Concubine Yi fumed as she sped along.

"Mufei, why do I feel like sister-in-law knew this would happen?" Murong Wanru asked in a low voice. If possible, she'd prefer for the empress and Princess Changping to go find the emperor, all the better to give her more time for her murder plot. But right now, Han Yunxi's death would only stir up more trouble and cause her the most worries.