Chapters 151-160

Chapter 151: Drinking contest, no end of trouble

Long Tianmo's incredulous gaze rested on Han Yunxi. This was his second time seeing her up close. The first time was when she had cured his strange illness and saved his life. His feeling this time was completely different. Even if he tried to ignore it, he couldn't lie to himself--he liked this woman. He also knew that she was different from Duanmu Yao. While marrying Duanmu Yao could help him secure his position as crown prince and solidify his claim to the throne, Han Yunxi was someone who could lift his entire life to greater heights.

But he was quick to remind himself of the reality. Behind this woman was a man who could either support his claim to the throne, or easily lift his hand to ruin everything he had today.

He couldn't afford to offend him!

He could only hope silently in his heart that the Duke of Qin hadn't discovered how unique this woman was. Perhaps the proud and aloof duke would miss out on this woman. Perhaps, one day in the future, he might have hope as well.

Long Tianmo's applause gradually revived the rest of the crowd, many of whom joined in the clapping.

"Ingenious! The concept is lofty and magnanimous, these verses are sure to become a classic!"

"Esteemed wangfei really does have hidden depths. The Duke of Qin...has a good eye! Hehe!"

"It's no wonder she's Qin Wangfei. This humble one concedes defeat! I'm sincerely convinced from the bottom of my heart!"

"Without the right bearing, it's impossible to compose lines like these! Esteemed wangfei, we really don't need to compose any more poems!"

... ...

Amongst the people who were waiting to laugh at Han Yunxi, a good majority had generously praised her instead, perfectly willing to consider her their superior. After one reached a certain level of skill, many people would grow jealous. But when one truly reached a high level, their jealousy would change to admiration instead.

Han Yunxi didn't like plagiarizing, but if this method could shut these people up and have the females recognize her as an exception, she was quite content to play the part of Lei Feng[1] once. Now was her chance to take revenge. She looked towards Duanmu Yao with a soft smile.

"Princess Rongle, it's your turn."

Only now did Duanmu Yao recover from her shock. Her heart pounded wildly as her body trembled. It was her turn to show off. But if she couldn't compose something better, then it'd only serve to enhance Han Yunxi's work while making a fool of herself! Moreover, Han Yunxi had even said that she was afraid her verses were too good for a follow-up without embarrassing her.

If she were to really compose something now, and it wasn't as good in comparison, wouldn't she lose even more face?

What should she do?

She originally wanted to humiliate Han Yunxi, but now she was under everyone else's scrutiny. There was no way to advance or retreat, especially as the crowd grew quieter and quieter with the passing time. Duanmu Yao's face gradually reddened as she dearly wished to hide in a crack in the ground! Everyone was waiting. The few who'd spoken out beforehand, or were mentioned by Princess Changping, silently rejoiced at the fact that they hadn't gone onstage. Otherwise, they'd be the ones embarrassed today! Han Yunxi was such a terrifying woman; her depths were too deep! It looked like they shouldn't get into conflicts with her in the future, or else they'd die without ever knowing how! Right now, even Princess Changping was relieved that Han Yunxi had only made a bet with Duanmu Yao. If it was her in her place, then she'd be today's biggest laughingstock!