Chapters 101-110

Chapter 101: Unmasking the secret, expert behind the scenes

The prisons were silent as Han Yunxi stared intently at the rice water before her. Her serious expression made the hearts of her curious onlookers sink as they joined her vigil. Long Feiye's gaze was resting on Han Yunxi's face. It'd been a long time since he saw her focused, professional side. Would it be logical for him to leave her by his side as a master of poisons?

Just as Long Feiye was pondering, Han Yunxi's serious expression lit up as she exclaimed, "Sure enough!"

Long Feiye hastily looked back towards the rice gruel, only to find the clear white liquid suddenly become turbid and black!

"So the poison's in their blood?" Long Feiye was a smart man who grasped the gist of the idea. There was no poison in the gruel, so the blood had to be the reason it turned black.

Han Yunxi nodded. "Right! There's none other than Rice Poison in their blood."

"How could this be?" Long Feiye asked. If their blood was poisoned, how did these captives survive until now, and why hadn't the poison specialists found any signs beforehand? Although he didn't understand poisons, he knew that once poison spread to the blood, the victim would be severely poisoned. It'd be basically impossible to save their lives then.

When he ordered people to get him blood samples from the captives, it was only to take a few drops. But just a simple test had revealed poison in them. If that was the case, this poison must have spread throughout the captives' bodies by now. With a body full of poison, they could still live normally. Long Feiye might have doubted it if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes.

"This is a very particular toxin. It's called Rice Poison because it only reacts with rice-based products," Han Yunxi paused before speaking. "If I'm not wrong, then all the poison victims must have had rice gruel before they became poisoned."

Immediately, Long Feiye looked towards one of the guards.

"To reply Your Highness, that's indeed the case. All three meals within the prisons were rice gruel that was force-fed to the prisoners. Some of them drank it, but some spat it out after one mouthful," the guard replied hastily.

"In other words, if they don't eat any rice-based foods, they'll never be poisoned?" Long Feiye asked.

Han Yunxi nodded. "Right, they'll never get poisoned. Moreover, no level of poison specialist would be able to tell the poisons in their blood." As she spoke, she poured some rice gruel onto the other blood sample. Not long afterwards, it also turned turbid and black. Undoubtedly, both prisoners carried the same poison in their veins.

"So that was it," Long Feiye's lips curved into a cold smile. No wonder he couldn't find the reason. He hadn't imagined the poison was hidden so deeply.

"Instead of starving themselves to death, why didn't they drink rice gruel and kill themselves that way?" Long Feiye asked. He couldn't reason it out. None of these spies wanted to confess. All of them wished to die, so why starve themselves?

Han Yunxi betrayed a helpless smile. "Your Highness, Rice Poison sounds like an ordinary name, but once the poison reacts, it's basically unbearable for a normal person. If it was me, I'd rather starve to death than incite the poison."

Only then did Long Feiye understood. Looks like the people who were poisoned had all accidentally swallowed the rice gruel force fed to them.

"Your Highness, the master behind them...definitely isn't ordinary!" Han Yunxi's forehead crinkled in worry as she offered up a reminder. Such a formidable poison expert would be hard to counter. After coming here and seeing these people, of course she knew that they were Northern Li Country spies. Last time, she and Long Feiye had descended to the mountain valley and discovered that expert who controlled poison mosquito swarms was also a Northern Li spy. If her guesses were correct, there had to be a leader behind all these people who gave them the Rice Poison.