Chapters 131-140

Chapter 131: Behind the scenes, just one step short

"I...sister-in-law, that's not what I meant. The Han Family's your family, you..."

Murong Wanru was about to explain, but Han Yunxi didn't give her the chance. "Little sister Wanru's words aren't wrong. The Han Family is my parents' home, so these could be counted as my parents' domestic matters. But the Duke of Qin's household is my husband's home. How could I favor my parents' home to hurt my husband's home? Isn't that right, little sister Wanru?"

Murong Wanru hastily nodded her head. "Naturally, but..."

Han Yunxi interrupted her again. "I'm not even planning to be partial to my parents' household, so little sister Wanru has no need to plead for them for my sake."

These words turned Murong Wanru's face green! She wanted to feign her care and say she was acting for Han Yunxi's benefit to help out her family. But Han Yunxi rejected her before she even got to speak. Murong Wanru cast a glance below them, only to see Lady Xu paralyzed on the ground. It wasn't clear whether she'd lost her senses or was listening to every word.

This Lady Xu was really troublesome!

Murong Wanru was still at a loss when Han Yunxi spoke up again. "Of course, if little sister Wanru is pleading on someone else's sake rather than for myself, I won't stop you."

"I'm not!" Murong Wanru blurted out in her haste.

Grand Concubine Yi wasn't an idiot. There wasn't much thought needed to hear a clue from her words. She frowned as she looked towards Murong Wanru, who gave a start and sat back down. How could she dare to move again? Instead she hastened to explain. "Since sister-in-law is so just and fair-minded, I won't say anything more. I'll heed mufei's decision in dealing with the matter."

Grand Concubine Yi completely trusted Murong Wanru, so she didn't overthink things. One hand rested on the table while the other cradled her forehead. But Lady Xu's eyes suddenly lit up as bright as snow as if she could see through a person's eyes straight into their hearts. The person she was looking at was none other than Murong Wanru!

Seeing this, the guilty Murong Wanru suddenly felt her heart start pounding. The hairs on her body all stood up. This Lady Xu, what does she mean? What's she planning to do?

Han Yunxi saw everything. Today, she was going to get three vultures with one arrow. Not only would she prove to the common people that she didn't covet the Han Family properties, she was also going to eliminate the Xu mother and son pair for little Yi'er. Most importantly, she was going to reveal the person behind the scenes that instigated Lady Xu!

Murong Wanru, you've finally fallen into this wangfei's hands!

Han Yunxi's lips curved into a cunning smile as she asked, "Little sister Wanru, I see that mufei's vexed and worried. Why don't you come up with an idea in her stead? Consider how Lady Xu should be severely punished, to warn others against a bad example?"

Severely punish Lady Xu? To warn others against a bad example?

Murong Wanru was already stricken because she had no way to intercede on Lady Xu's behalf. Now Han Yunxi had set her up with this question. She was dumping her into a fiery pit!

Lady Xu's fierce stare glinted like knives. Murong Wanru didn't even dare to face her head on. She could only try and plead again. "Sister-in-law, mufei believes in Buddhism. Whenever it's possible, she tries to forgive people for their mistakes. I say that since this matter's a misunderstanding that concerns your parents' family, why don't we..."

"Little sister Wanru, I already say that you don't need to worry about giving me face," Han Yunxi reminded her helpfully.

"Sister-in-law, I know you're a fair-minded person, and that your heart lies with our household. That makes it difficult for you to plea on behalf of your parents' family. How about this, for this matter today..."