Chapters 21-30

Chapter 21: The useless trash speaks for herself

Attempted murder?

"Hold it, what kind of eyes are you using to see me murder your young general?" Han Yunxi asked angrily. Even the ancients like to smear the motivations of people with good intentions?

Li Changfeng kicked the dagger on the ground into his hands, voice cold. "All of us saw with our own two eyes. Woman, I don't care who sent you, but prepare for death!"

They'd already detained the anxious driver, who wanted to reveal his mistress' identity but found the timing inappropriate. Instead he shouted, "Mistake, it's a misunderstanding! We just passed by and saw the young general on the ground, so my mistress wanted to save him. She has no ill intentions, the real culprit's run off long ago."

Li Changfeng raised his eyebrows at Han Yunxi and gave a snort. "If you were going to save him, why use a dagger? Who are you trying to fool? Someone grab her."

"I used the dagger to save him. A poison needle's struck him deep inside. If it isn't recovered, the consequences won't be something a guard like you can bear." Han Yunxi said seriously, intimidating all those present.

Li Changfeng hesitated slightly. Four hours ago, the young general had chased an enemy spy into this area and disappeared. As to what happened exactly, nobody knew. He glanced at the dagger in his hand but dared not risk it. This was really something he couldn't handle.

"Stop with your nonsense. Take her to the house, we'll clear up any misunderstandings with the general himself!" Li Changfeng lifted Mu Qingwu in his arms and hastily walked away.

"You'll regret it!" Han Yunxi shouted. That damned man, how dare he move Mu Qingwu after he'd been poisoned? It'd only speed up the circulation of toxins into his organs. Fine, she'd go to the general's estate. It wouldn't do to fear them when she'd done nothing wrong. Would an upright place like that make her confess to false charges under torture?

As it turned out, she'd overestimated the the Mu House. All the members of the Mu family had joined the military. There were rough and blunt, more apt to use their hands than their mouths. When Mu Qingwu was delivered to his rooms, a summoned imperial physician hurried after him. Han Yunxi and the driver were left in the middle of the hall, where General Mu and his thick eyebrows, big eyes, and beard glared at them. He pointed a finger at Han Yunxi. "Speak, who sent you?!"

Who sent her?

Did she look like an assassin or enemy agent? She didn't even resist when they brought her here. This blockhead was going to drive Mu Qingwu to his death sooner or later. Han Yunxi kept calm without losing her temper. "I'll say this for the last time. I was just a passerby who wanted to save him. The young general's been poisoned and his situation is urgent. If he's not treated now, the effects will be too ghastly to imagine."

"What a joke. I've seen plenty of women like you before. You dare argue against conclusive evidence?" As General Mu spoke, he walked closer and closer to Han Yunxi, noisily flicking his whip so that the people around them quaked with fear. Han Yunxi kept a serious, steady gaze and stood there fearlessly, cold eyes unyieldingly boring into General Mu's own. It was the first time the general had met such a bold woman. But so what?

"I'll see if you keep up your lies!" He raised his whip and snapped it right at her.

Han Yunxi didn't dodge. She knew she couldn't avoid it, so she bore the brunt of a lash harsh enough to rip the skin off her arm. Yet her eyebrows didn't even twitch as she stared at him.

"You'll regret it!"

"I'll make you regret it first!" General Mu said, lashing her again. Right then, Li Changfeng escorted Imperial Physician Gu back into the hall. Imperial Physician Gu Beiyue[1] was a young man just over 20 years old, but he was head of all the other court physicians. He didn't wear the complicated robes of the Imperial Physician Courtyard, but clean and simple white robes. Refined and cultivated, he had a serene face that exuded warmth even when he didn't smile. He was a doctor that looked more like a scholar.