1.8 Artificial

Jealousy.

It is written all over his face like somebody splashed a poisonous green paint on his face, making a master piece of a growing green jealous creature. Ezequiel twitched in his seat, fingers irritatedly tapping on the wooden table. He doesn't even have to drink his black coffee to feel bitter. 

Why was he even jealous?

Asahi knew Hinami longer. They were practically childhood friends. They grew up together, had a lot of memories and a stronger bond. And Ezequiel? He is just an outsider...

An outsider?

He felt a throbbing pain on the back of his head. He rubbed his temples. He ignored the pain and turned his gaze to Asahi. The throbbing pain in his back gradually reduced, making him sigh in relief.

Asahi is happily talking to Hinami. He gave her a goofy grin and laughed hard at a joke that she said.

It wasn't even that funny.

"What do you call a bear with no teeth?" Hinami turned her gaze to her friend, with a bright smile that held mischief.

"What?"

"Gummy bears."

Hinami howled in laughter, clutching her stomach and wheezing. Asahi covers his mouth, giggling. His eyes are sparkling with joy. Ezequiel stabbed his chocolate cake and took a bite. Even though the cake was supposed to be sweet, his mouth tasted bitter. The view in front of him really gets on his nerves. The two had been exchanging googly eyes. It made his blood boil.

What does he even see in her? 

"Isaac, Isaac. What rock is a really good friend?" Hinami leaned over the table as she looked at Ezequiel with a smirk. 

"I don't know."

"An opal." 

"Oh." Ezequiel deadpans.

"Hey! My pun is funny. You should laugh, or I'll punish you. Punish get it?" Hinami wheezed loudly and slammed her fist on the table. 

Ezequiel laughed as indifferently and politely as he could muster. After all, he couldn't let his displeasure show too much. Swallowing the thick lump in his throat, he forced out a laugh.

Hinami's phone rang. Forcing herself to stop laughing, she answered the phone. "Hey there, sweetie pie." Hinami laughed down at her phone. "Now don't be such a tsundere, I know you love me."

Ezequiel carefully observed Asahi, who was fiddling with the straw of his bubble tea. Ezequiel searched his eyes for any signs of any discomfort, any jealousy. That might indicate his feelings.

Asahi doesn't look bothered at all as he happily sips on his drink. Ezequiel watched him with a false hope growing in his heart.

Maybe he doesn't like her anymore? 

"I gotta spend some quality time with my darling Akira." She hung up her phone and stood up from her seat. "Bye, bye love birds." She blew a kiss.

Asahi becomes as red as a cherry. "Stop that Hinami!" He exclaimed as she covered his face.

"Well, this is your chance, lover boy." Hinami winked at Ezequiel. "This will be your cute little date. Ganbare!" She waved one more time before running out of the cafe.

"So... um." Asahi's face was beet-red. He avoided looking at Ezequiel. "How is the weather?" He awkwardly asked, his voice cracking.

"Really Asahi?" Ezequiel's eyebrow rose as he chuckled softly, shaking his head at Asahi's cuteness.