Lois' Birthday

Today was Lois’ birthday and to say Aria was excited would be an understatement. Aria’s mom wasn’t around so Lois stepped in as her mother figure, so Aria saved money for months to get her something as a thank you. She, in all honesty, was nervous that the woman wouldn’t like it.

Lois loved almost anything that the girl gave her, but the thought of her not liking the gift was always there in the back of her mind. It was an irrational fear.

Aria stood in Lucky Aide looking for a birthday card when she noticed Lois talking to Craig, she quietly prayed that the woman wouldn’t see her so that she wouldn’t know that the girl was looking for a birthday card. Luckily, she got distracted with trying out different lipsticks once Craig left. Aria quickly grabbed the card she wanted and paid before scrambling out the door, her dad had been waiting in the car and was amused to see her running to the car.

“What’s got you in such a rush?” He asked.

“Lois was in there, I didn't want her to see me.” Aria leaned back and took deep breaths.

“I thought I saw her and the boys go in.” Noah nodded as he drove out of the parking lot, Aria hadn’t seen the boys but she was sure that they were going to cause some sort of trouble.

As soon as they got home Aria quickly ran to her room to get Lois’ birthday present ready so that she could go to the Wilkerson home. She waited a bit before going over so that they could celebrate as a family before she joined them. Aria was getting ready to leave when her dad stopped her just as she was about to walk out the door.

“Hey, Kiddo, give this to Lois for me, would you?” He held out a small box of chocolate and a gift card for Dunkin’ Donuts. It was something simple for the woman but they knew that she would like it, Aria wondered what the others got Lois for her birthday.

“Sure.” Aria took the gifts and walked out the door. “I’ll be back later. I love you.” 

“Love you too.” He waved as she walked away. He had things that he had to do so he wasn’t able to make it like he did every year.

The walk was quick and when Aria arrived Lois was walking out of the house with Hal, Craig and the boys trailing behind her.

“Honey?” Hal tried to get Lois' attention. “Honey, where are you going?”

“Wherever I want.” Lois answered cooly as she got into the minivan.

“Well. . . when are you coming home?” Hal questioned holding a present in his hands.

“When?” Lois repeated, “When somebody in this family gives a damn.”

Lois drove away before she quickly stopped and kicked Francis and some girl out of the back seat.

“Happy Birthday, Mom!” Francis called out.

“What’s going on?” Aria finally asked, causing everyone to turn to her.

“Dad forgot Mom’s birthday and she gave us thirty dollars to get her something but we spent most of it on candy.” Malcolm told her.

Aria shook her head and sighed as everyone went inside, Craig went home seeing as Lois had left and he wasn’t able to give her his gift.

“This is bad.” Malcolm said as they sat at the kitchen table. “Mom’s never taken off on us before.”

“Yeah, she usually kicks us out.” Reese agreed.

“You bought candy?” Hal snapped, “You don’t just. . . it was her. . . if only I had the. . . stupid watch!”

The kids watched as Hal stressed before he walked out into the backyard to calm down. They were quiet for a second before Reese spoke.