40. ~ Surprise

Time: 10:34 pm. Later that night.
Setting: Luke's room. Room 343.

Luke: (phone goes off, checks caller ID, answers) What the he-

Ashton: (sobbing) I-I'm sorry. I'm so, so, so sorry.

Luke: (sits up, worried) Ashton.

Ashton: That's not me, I swear. You know me. (cries) You know that's not me.

Luke: (confused) Who was that, then? You've never acted like that before. (pauses) Well, other than the time we watched The Fault in Our Stars, but that's irrelevant.

Ashton: Augustus died first, what sick kind of plot twist was that?! (sobs)

Luke: (sarcastic) Well, if you had read the freaking book like I told you to...

Ashton: (weak snap) Shut up. (low chuckle, deep breath) I didn't mean to snap. I didn't mean to get angry.

Luke: Why did you, then?

Ashton: Cuz it's all just piling up! (voice cracks) Too much! Too much! (sobs) Too much of everything!

Luke: (soft) If work is getting too stressful then you should talk to Simon.

Ashton: I-It's not Simon! I-It's just...

Luke: (firm) Ashton. Tell me. You don't have to hide from me.

Ashton: (screeching) It's Gemma! She's back. (sobs) She's back and I can't stand it.

Luke: Who the hell is Gemma?

Ashton: (squeaks) You don't know?

Luke: Would I be asking if I did?

Ashton: (sniffles) She's my ex-wife.

Me: (quietly slinks into the corner to hide)

QOTD: Did Ashton just drop a bomb on all of us?