11| A String Attached

"Tell me about your family, Ollie. Are they also here in New York?"

My shoulders tensed at my mom's question. Before we came to this dinner, I made Ollie flashcards about stuff to say when she grilled him. But it didn't dawn on me to provide family info.

Clearing my throat, I tried to bypass her question. "Mom, I'm sure he doesn't want to—"

"It's okay," he said, flashing me his usual charming smile before looking back at my mom. "Actually no, they don't live here. They live in Chicago. I was raised there."

My mom's brows went up with curiosity. "I see. That's interesting. How did you like it there in the Windy City?"

"I loved it, actually. It wasn't until after college that I decided to move to New York."

My heart was pounding inside my chest as I absently picked at the bread my mom put on the center of the table while I listened to them go back and forth. I had no idea if what he was telling her was true, but at least she seemed to be buying it.

I just hoped that she didn't go further into his

"What do your parents do?"

Dammit. I wish she would stop getting so personal.

Ollie took a sip of his red wine before he answered her. "My mom's a mystery writer and my dad is a professor at North Western."

My mom smiled with surprise before turning towards me. "Wow. Jamie, you didn't tell me his mom is a writer! I love mystery novels. Has she written anything I might have read?"

"She actually writes The Secrets of Ted Winston series."

Oh shit. My mom absolutely LOVED that series. Which is why she squealed ao loudly and nearly jumped out of her chair with excitement.

"Really? I can't believe this! You have to try to get me an autograph. If its not too much trouble, of course."

Ollie, ever the gentleman, waved her statement away. "No trouble at all. I can definitely do that for you."

My mom was absolutely swooning from her side of the table. I had to admit, even I was a little taken aback that his mom was not only a writer, but also a writer of a book series that both me and my mom were fans of.

It actually kind of made me feel a little ashamed. In all of my preparation and long talks with Ollie for this little ruse, I never really actually tried to ask him questions to get to know him better.

My eyes flicked back to my mom. Well, on the plus side, maybe if she kept the questions going about his mom and the book series, maybe she wouldn't get into even more personal questions about him.

Or worse, him and me.

"Enough about books," she said to my dismay. "Im curious, Ollie, what had you moving to New York from Chicago?"

Fed up, I snapped, "What is this, an interrogation?"

My mom's face fell a little. "I'm just trying to get to know your boyfriend a littke better, Jamie. That's all."

Stressed out from all of the lies, and the fact that I had to lie to get her off my back in the first place, I ran my hands through my hair repeatedly, trying to calm myself down.

It didn't work.

Then when I pushed my hands against the table like I was going to get up and leave, I suddenly felt Ollie's hand on my thigh.