34| Unexpected Surprises

Stress has been a very unwelcome guest in all of our lives lately. It weighed down on us, crushing us with our deepest worries and fears. Like Karma going down the rabbit hole again about her mom passing away. Or the fact that we didn't know where Jamie was for a couple weeks or how she was handling everything. Then there was the cherry on top.

Harper and I have been trying for a while to get pregnant now with no luck. She's been trying everything. Taking her temperature. Putting her legs up after we have sex. Tracking her cycles and taking ovulation tests.

Everything. And still not pregnant yet.

We knew the chances of conceiving a child were slim to none, but we were both trying to be optimistic about it. I had to say, she seemed in better spirits about the whole thing that I did. Every time she took a pregnancy test and it came back negative, there was always a little bit of disappointment in her eyes. But then she would look up at me, smile and tell me that it was going to be okay and we would just try again.

Her strength was the only thing that kept me from falling apart every time there wasn't a little blue positive sign on that stick. I've never realized how much I wanted a kid until little Nate was born. Before I met Harper, being a dad was nowhere in my mind or in my life plans. Shit, even when I met her and we got into a relationship, I still had no intention of starting a family.

But that was all different now. I wanted it. I wanted it all. I was just hoping and praying that this would work out for us. That Harper and I both could finally have a family of our own. Especially since her parents were still out of the picture. And then there was me. I didn't have my mom here to guide me through all of this and offer me advice. She wasn't here to pop me on the back of the head when I did something stupid. I did have my dad, though. Even then it wasn't the same. And one thing I was dead set on was not treating my kid the way my dad treated me when I was growing up.

Suddenly my cell phone rang and I pushed the except button that was on the steering wheel. I already knew who it was. "Hey, Princess. Everything all right?"

When we spoke a few hours ago she told me she was going to be working late today at school. Some kind of teacher meeting or something.

"Yes," she said in a bubbly tone. "I'm great, babe. Just taking a break from the meeting. How was work tonight?"

Her good mood and happy demeanor bled through the phone, instantly making my own sour mood one hundred times better.

"I'm glad it's going well. And that you've clearly had a good day."

She did this cute little giggle thing on the other end of the line. "Well, I'm happy to hear your voice. I've been thinking about you all day."

The sultry tone of her voice had my cock hardening instantly. I shifted in the seat but it didn't help. "Is that so? Tell me, Princess, what were you thinking?"

"I was thinking about how I want to feel your mouth kissing every inch of my body tonight."

My mouth watered at the very idea. "You know how much I enjoy tasting your sweet skin. Especially between your legs."

She whimpered a little and I knew she was just as turned on as I was. "Tonight when I get home you are mine, Jackson Reese."

Her bossiness nearly had me cumming in my pants. "I thought I made the demands in bed, Princess."

"Oh you do," she murmured. "Most of the time. But tonight...tonight is my turn."

I gripped the steering wheel tighter. "Fuck, Princess. I've never wanted you so badly. How long until you're finished and you can come home to me?"