25| The Morning After

"So, have you heard from Gwen?"

The mention of my aunt made me grimace before I glanced at Ryan and shrugged one shoulder. "Yes and no. She calls Harper to check in once or twice a week."

He exhaled a harsh curse. "I still don't get why she's so pissed at us."

I arched a brow at him. "No? Let me refresh your memory, brother. When I caught them shagging I accidentally made her feel like she was too old and unworthy to be loved and found attractive. On top of that, both you and I still haven't fully accepted their relationship." Under my breath I mumbled, "As much as I try to."

"She can't be mad at us for worrying about her and loving her too much, Jay. That's ridiculous. What if he uses her or hurts her?"

"What if he doesn't?"

I felt more than saw Ryan sneer at me. "What the hell are you talking about?"

With a heavy sigh I met my his gaze again. "When Harper and I get into discussions about the subject, that's what she always asks me. 'What if he doesn't use her?' 'What if he really loves her?'"

Ryan scoffed before a corner of his mouth lifted in a wry smile. "Discussions with Harper, huh? You mean when she tears your ass a new one, don't you?"

"Eh." I shrugged before casting my brother a shit eating grin of my own. "But I can't say it isn't worth what comes after."

My brother made a face, obviously grossed out by my comment hinting to make-up sex with my wife. To be honest, that kind of sex was almost as good as making love to her. Not as good, but it came close.

"Anyway, maybe Harper's right about this. Maybe we should—" Ryan gritted his teeth "—give this guy a chance."

Yeah, maybe. Feeling anxious, I got up and started pacing around the condo. Even though he and Danielle always kept their place pretty clean and organized, there was baby stuff everywhere.

My eyes took in every little thing. The playpen that was by the large couch. The swing by the floor-to-ceiling window. The basket of toys by the coffee table. When my eyes landed on the different colored baby clothes that were folded neatly on the arm of the sofa, I paused.

My heart tightened in my chest when I picked up the little onesie that I bought the baby last week. It had MY UNCLE IS COOLER THAN MY DAD written across it. Of course, Ryan wasn't as amused as I was by the gift.

"Have you guys decided what you're going to do?" My brother 's voice was soft and cautious. As if he knew broaching the subject was like walking on thin ice.

Refolding the onesie, I put it back where I got it and turned to face him. "Harper stopped taking her birth control pills almost a month ago."

The momentary silence from the other side of the room was deafening. Harper and I have gone back and forth about whether or not we wanted to try to get pregnant given the circumstances, or to adopt.

"So you're trying?" He asked with surprise.

Words were impossible so I just nodded.

Ryan got to his feet and came to stand in front of me. "Are you...okay?"

My resolve was starting to slip and I ran a hand through my hair. "Yes. And no."

"Talk to me. Tell me." He put his hand on my shoulder. "You know I'm here for you."

"It's more Harper I'm worried about. She really wants this. She bought dozens of ovulation and pregnancy tests. She installed an app on her phone to track her cycles and stuff." My voice cracked. "If this doesn't work..."