32| Untamed

"Would you like another mimosa, mademoiselle?"

Like my hand was on autopilot or something, I reached out and took the glass that was offered to me.

"Thank you," I said numbly. I drank the citrusy drink, probably a little faster than I should have, but the little bit of alcohol in it comforted me.

Simone showed up at the warehouse this morning in a very expensive looking car to take me shopping for a dress for Ollie's art show which was only a few days away. After my breakdown on my mom's birthday, I was actually glad to get out of the warehouse.

It was surprising how much easier it seemed to be to talk about my mom over the past couple days. It was still gut-wrenching, of course, but each day that passed I found myself opening up to Ollie more and more. I was beyond grateful to him for that night he came and rescued me from the bar. Although, when I asked him to fill in the blanks about that whole night, I felt like he was holding something back. But considering how much he covered for me with my friends in New York, I didn't press it right now.

Simone came back over to where I was waiting in the fitting room of a very bougie store that I didn't even bother learning the name of with an abundance of dresses over her arm. Now I understood why Ollie had an amused expression on his face when she came to pick me up.

"I found these in your size," she said with a smile. "I'm sure we will find the perfect dress for the show."

I hoped so. As much as I was nervous about being Ollie's date to this thing, a bigger part of me was looking forward to it. He really was an amazing painter. Ever since he and I started spending time together here in Paris, he would tell me stories about how he first discovered his love to draw and how it progressed to painting. I knew this show was a big deal and I wanted nothing more than to be there for him, especially after everything he's done for me.

"Well?" Simone called from outside at my dressing room. " There has to be one dress out of what I brought you that should be more than suitable, non?"

I stared at my reflection and grimaced. The last three I tried on were definitely not suitable for his art show. Time to try on the next one.

"No luck yet," I replied to her as I took off the current dress and picked a new one. "I'm trying on the last one you brought me now."

"Fabuleux! I can't wait to see it!"

Smiling to myself, I reached for the last dress. I had to be honest, Simone was pretty cool. And she was beautiful. After she walked in on me and Ollie that day, he made it pretty clear that she was faithfully married to her husband and Ollie had no interest in her. I knew he was being honest, but it still made me feel good that he wanted to reassure me.

And in the few hours I've already spent with her today, I completely understood why he called her a friend. She was bubbly and friendly and had a very positive energy around her. It was almost like, no matter what mood you were in, she could always make you smile.

Holding the dress by the hanger, I studied it. It was solid black and sleeveless on one side, and it had a strap on the other side that had a mix of black and light blue. It was actually quite promising.  Feeling hopeful, I put it on.

It fit perfectly. It was floor length and pooled a little bit at my feet. I was definitely going to have to get some heels. Thankfully Ollie was tall enough where even if I got two or three inch heels he would still have a good amount of height on me.

Simone's impatience was clear when she said, "Rapidement! I'm dying with anticipation out here, Jamie. Must you hold me in suspense?"

"Alright, alright!" I laughed, reaching for the door. "Here I come."