27| Routines

Today couldn't have gone more perfectly. When I planned this little outing to go to the beach, I had high hopes that Jamie would enjoy herself. It didn't hurt that I brought some of her favorite snacks and wine, of course. But I also remembered her mentioning how much she loved the beach when she and I were getting to know each other in preparation for Harper's wedding last year.

The fact that she was still surprised every time I remembered something she told me back then amused me. Why wouldn't I remember every single detail about such an amazing girl?

Scratch that. More than amazing. She was absolutely incredible. Every single thing about her. Even the way she rambled on when she was nervous. Or the way she hogged all the covers. Truth was the more time I spent with her here in Paris, the more convinced I became that Cherise had been right about Jamie and I being 'meant to be'.

If I was being honest, I hadn't even needed Cherise to tell me that to know there was a strong connection between Jamie and me. That connection, which even back then felt unbreakable, was the reason I nearly cancelled my plans to come to Paris in the first place. The one reason I considered calling off this whole taking-a-job and moving-out-of-the-country thing.

As each day passed since her arrival, I could tell that I was slowly breaking down the walls that she put up around her heart in an effort to protect herself. She was becoming more comfortable with me. Even started talking about her mom a little. And, of course, there was the sex. In the beginning it was easy to call it just fucking—even though she was never just a fuck to me. But now it was different. When we were together, we were making love.

And it wasn't just me who was making love to her. She was doing the same thing. Of course she hasn't admitted that out loud. But then again she didn't have to. Even though she didn't voice them, her emotions were pretty clear in the way she touched me and kissed me.

Sometimes when we were having sex, her eyes would never leave mine, and I could swear she was about to drop the L-bomb. But she hasn't yet, and that was all right. That was something that would be worth the wait. Even if I had to wait forever.

A sudden car horn startled me, causing my eyes to flick to the rear view mirror before glancing back at Jamie who was asleep in the passenger seat. We stayed at the beach well past dinner time until she said she was tired and ready to go. As soon as we started driving and she put on some of that smooth jazz, she was out like a light.

As she slept, I thought back to what happened on the ride here earlier.

"Well...I've been thinking that you have yet to take me on a real date, Atticus Lake."

For a second I simply held my breath while my brain tried to process the words that came out of her mouth. A date? Like...her and me? Together? What the fuck. The main reason I thought I got away with these 'adventure days' was because...well, they were called ADVENTURE DAYS. Not...dates.

"A date? Like a date date?" I knew I sounded as surprised as if she confessed to being secretly married with two kids, but shit, I was not expecting that.

She smiled at my obvious confusion. "Yes."

I checked the road for a second to make sure we weren't going to run into anything before I looked back at her. I knew my voice was heavy with emotion, but there was no dialing it down. "Is that what you really want? To go on a date with me?"

A date has always been a simple thing. Everybody went on dates. Actually I felt like first dates tended to be taken for granted. I've been on my own fair sheriff first date. Probably couldn't even count on both of my hands how many first dates have been on in my lifetime.