Chapter 22

I MEERA I

"Meera, are you gonna wear the silver heels or the black one?", Remya asks, holding them up in both her hands.

"Neither. I bought a red one from Delhi. I'll wear it", I tell her as I take off my earrings.

"Fine. What do you think?", She asks, holding up the black heels and a blue one.

"Blue, definitely blue. Its sexier", I tell her.

"I thought so too", she says before placing the black heels back inside the closet. She takes her blue dress from the bed before heading into the washroom. She has been doing both of our makeup and hair.

I've really got to give it to her, she's damn good with that stuff. Even I'm no match for her. She has tied my hair up in a neat and elegant updo. Her own hair is flowing down her back in a slight wave. She wouldn't let me wear my hair down, "it messes with my look", she said.

She had put light makeup on us along with her signature peel-off lipstick. She even forbid me from wearing any jewellery other than my earrings and a wrist watch.

As soon as I put the new earrings on, Remya walks backwards out of the washroom with her dress wide open.

"Zip me up", she says. I quickly pull her zip up before patting her back.

Black is definitely her colour.

"Holy shit, Remya. You look hot", I tell her.

"Look who's talking. Your lover boy is gonna lose his shit when he sees you in that dress", she says.

"Stop calling him my lover boy. It's stupid. And I don't care what he thinks. I didn't get dressed for him", I tell her and it's the truth. Although there is a part of me that is eager to know what he thinks. But I'll never admit it.

We quickly wear our heels. My red dress is similar to Remya's black one, but it doesn't have a train as long as her's. She lifts her dress so doesn't trip while walking down the stairs. We enter the living room filled with people. A few of them look our way. Most of them are engaged in conversation with each other.

We quickly make our way to Shraddha's room. Pooja has been MIA since the wedding, so we were hoping to find her there. But she's nowhere to be found. And it turns out Shraddha has left too. I'm pretty sure I heard my mom say she wouldn't leave until 8 pm. I must've heard her wrong then.

We go back to the living room just as Tej uncle comes in asking us to get into the bus that they arranged to take the guests to the reception hall. We quickly get in as we couldn't find Vinash or our mothers anywhere.

Remya and I take seats in the back to avoid nosy relatives. The party is in full swing when we arrive at the hall. We quickly make our way inside. We talk to some people on the way. It was inevitable. I drag Remya towards the drinks counter and grab a lemonade for myself and apple juice for Remya. We slowly sip our drinks while scanning the crowd for familiar faces, Vinash and our mothers' to be exact.

As soon as we find Vimalamma, we head her way, with drinks in our hands, an extra lemonade for her.

"Oh my gosh!", She gushes looking at us , "My girls look so beautiful", she says loudly. I wish she didn't do that, because the people around her turn to look at us and it's awkward.

"Well, don't you look young, Vimalamma?", I ask her, hiding my smile. She loves it when someone says she looks young. She laughs. I hand her the lemonade that I got for her. She quickly thanks me before taking a long sip. After a few moments she starts to talk to the other women around her. We try to stay by her side, but it's impossible with her moving around so much. So when she asks us to go mingle with people of our age, we have no choice but to leave the scene.