Chapter 39

I MEERA I

I waited with bated breath as Vikram exited the room. It's just my luck that his friend showed up just as I was about to leave his apartment, after spending my night in his bed. At least it's Varun. He was pretty cool, he even tried to coerce me to get together with Vikram, although he was drunk at that time. So it won't be that bad if he knew about us but I still didn't want him to be a witness to my walk of shame.

I can clearly hear Vikram ask Varun why he was early, to which Varun replied that he was bored. I tip toed towards the bedroom door and slightly peeked into the hall and kitchen and found Vikram standing next to the counter, while Varun was bent over his fridge.

"You need to stock up your fridge man, there's barely anything in it", Varun says as he straightens with a carton of milk.

"Or maybe you should stop eating my damn food all the time", Vikram retorts back as he leans on the counter.

"Whatever," Varun turns towards the counter after closing the fridge and pauses when he looks at the kitchen counter.

I can see them clearly from here but since the room is dark, I'm sure they won't see me. But Vikram must sense my presence because he looks over his shoulder at me and when his eyes lock with mine after a moment, he holds his little finger up, telling me to hold on.

"What's this? You made breakfast? I thought you were asleep?", Varun asks and Vikram whips his head towards him.

"I was asleep. That's leftover from dinner", he says as scratches the back of his neck.

"Dinner, really? Toast and eggs? And what is this? Banana? Apples?", He asks as he lifts the apple peel fron the counter and looks around at all the dirty pans and plates. Vikram must've left the cleaning for later.

"Well, yeah. Like you said, I have to go grocery shopping. There was nothing else. So I made breakfast for dinner", Vikram says but he sounds fishy, even to my ears.

"You're weird today. First, the coffee. And now this. Breakfast for dinner. That's the first time I've seen you do something like that", Varun says as he pours the milk onto a bowl. He takes a sip from a cup next to him before raiding Vikram's cupboards.

"Yeah, well", Vikram's non-answer doesn't go unnoticed.

"Did you get dumped or something?", He asks as he takes a box of cornflakes from the overhead shelf.

"I don't have a girlfriend to get dumped, you moron. But you knew that already", Vikram says and I want to say, you have a girlfriend. But that's stupid because I'm the reason he's lying to Varun in the first place.

"Wait, is this about her? Meera? These days it's always her", he says.

I know he didn't mean that in a bad way but the way he said it made me realise I was playing with Vikram's feelings, not intentionally. But still, I pull him close and when he tries to hold me, I push him away. It must've been a little exhausting. I feel the guilt but I try not to let it get to me. At least now, I can try to give him the love he deserves. And I'll make sure that I'll always be honest with him, even if it's hard for me.

"Wait, don't tell me she got a boyfriend or something. That's it, isn't it? Maybe you saw her kissing him in the parking lot", Varun says when Vikram remains silent. He scoops the cereal into his mouth with a large serving spoon. How does that even fit inside his mouth? Okay, that sounded dirty, even to my ears. It sounded better in my head.

"Fuck off! That's your story, dickhead. And nothing is wrong with me. I'm fine", Vikram says as he drags a hand through his hair, frustrated. He grabs them in a fist before tying it in a bun with the hair tie on his wrist. I suddenly have this urge to pull that tie away. But I don't act on my impulses, I stay where I am, making sure to stay silent.