Chapter 50

I MEERA I

I text Vikram when I reach home. It's only 1 am and I have plenty of time to plan my surprise. I hope he doesn't have high expectations, because I'm only planning to make his favourite dum biriyani. I bought the chicken and all the other ingredients from the supermarket on the way home. Now, I just need to change and find a good chicken dum biriyani recipe on YouTube and make it.

I've wanted to do something for Vikram for sometime now. He's always doing things for me. Taking me on dates to cafes, cooking me all my favourite foods, dropping me off at my college everyday. And he's so sweet, that it makes me a little guilty that I haven't made him feel as special and loved as he makes me feel, because I do adore him. A lot, lot.

So, even though cooking is not my forte, I will try my best to make this taste good. Today's date is all about Vikram. I still don't know what else we can do tonight that he'll enjoy. Maybe play video games? If I'm playing alone with him, I'll be more comfortable. And I know I'll enjoy it. Because last time, I did enjoy the game though I didn't understand most of it, but I just didn't want to bother them when they were seriously playing the game. And him explaining the game like a nerd, is really hot. I wouldn't mind pressing up against him when he explains the rules of the game to me.

When I finish cooking the biriyani, it's almost 4 in the evening. It doesn't take that long to cook it, but since I didn't want to mess up and I'm a slow cook in general, the recipe took me three hours, half of which was spent on chopping, re-reading the recipe a billion times, and finding the right pots and ingredients. I text Vikram, telling him to call me when he reaches the apartment.

I quickly take a shower before setting the table. I grab the bouquet of roses I bought from the florist near our apartment and cut the stems that are a little too long, before putting them in a vase that I grabbed from Shraddha and Karthik's apartment. I place it in the middle of the coffee table. I take some flowers and sprinkle them around the table which is covered in a white tablecloth. Next I set the bowls, glasses, plates and the utensils. Finally I set a large candle in the middle.

I place the small scented candles that I bought, all around. Since it was on offer, I bought like twenty of them, but still scented candles are expensive as hell.

Just as I finish setting up everything- sans the biriyani, since I haven't opened the dum yet- my phone rings and I see the name Vikram, flash on my screen.

"Meera darling, I'm here", he says and a minute later there's a knock on the door.

I jump, almost dropping my phone at the sudden knock. "You scared me!", I tell him as I look around. And there's a slight smell of spices and chicken in the living room.

"Wait a minute. I'll be right there. Now, I want you to walk back to the elevator, alright?", I say as I rush towards the kitchen and open the windows. I do the same with the windows in the living room. I quickly grab the room freshener from his room and spray it everywhere in the living room, hoping the smell will mask, and not mix with the aroma of spices and biriyani. I take a few sniffs just in case. All safe. Now, I have to blind fold him or he'll see the coffee table that I set in the middle of the living room.

Since I don't really have anything to blindfold him, and even if there was, I can't think of anything at the moment, I open the door and step outside before closing it behind me. I see Vikram standing a few places away, closer to the elevator with a bouquet of pink roses wrapped in brown paper.