Chapter 40

I MEERA I

I'm contemplating between wearing the cute yellow sundress and the green dress that's a little extra. I asked Vikram if it was casual or not and yet again, he asked me to wear a dress. So I asked him if I should wear a formal or casual dress and he asked me to wear a pretty dress. As if any of my dresses were ugly! The nerve!

So when I told him that all of my dresses were pretty, he told me to wear whatever I liked and that I'll look pretty in anything. So I had to swoon on the inside and blush all the way to my neck, while replying "alright" in a devil-may-care attitude.

I finally choose the green one. It's a narrow sleeved dress that reaches my knees. It's cinched at the waist and has a slightly deep V-neck that shows a very moderate amount of cleavage.  I pair it with my chunky silver heels, that I may or may not have "borrowed" from Remya. But she has way too many heels for her to notice a  missing silver one. And I'm sure she still has my black heels that she wore for Shraddha's wedding reception.

I decide to just put some concealer, lipstick and mascara. But in the end, I also apply some pink cheek tint. I grab my purse, that Shraddha gave me for my birthday last year and throw all my essentials inside before heading out of my room.

I had already told Shraddha and Karthik that I'll be going out with Diya for the evening. And they had nodded, telling me to call them if I needed anything and I promised I'll be back before 10.

Karthik is sitting on the couch when I enter the living room. He quickly sits up when he sees me.

"You look beautiful, sister dear", he says.

"Oh, thank you Karthik. But you look like you need some sleep", I tell him with a teasing smile and he rolls his eyes.

"I'm on the couch today. I forgot to give your sister's dress for dry cleaning yesterday. So she has "nothing" to wear for the wedding tomorrow. And when I told her to just wear whatever, she kicked me out", he says. I try to hold in my laugh. They had told me about the wedding of Shraddha's colleague. Apparently, it was an evening wedding.

"You can't just tell her to wear whatever. You brought this on yourself", I tell him.

"Of course, you'll side with your sister. There's no one on my side in this apartment", he groans.

"You didn't just forget to give the dress for dry cleaning, you idiot! You washed it with some other clothes and now my dress looks like a tie-dyed shit pile", I hear Shraddha shout from their room.

"How was I supposed to know that would happen?", He shouts back.

"Did I tell you to wash my dress? It's not meant to be washed like that in a washing machine", she retorts.

"I was trying to help", Karthik says loudly as he throws his arms up, looking at me. I tut at him disapprovingly and he sighs in defeat.

"You should have given my dress for dry cleaning if you wanted to help me!", Shraddha says and I slowly inch towards the front door without making much movements.

"I'm sorry, I was busy", he says in an annoyed tone.

"Yeah, busy playing call of duty", Shraddha yells. A moment later, I hear sniffs from her room. And I hear Karthik curse under his breath.