Chapter 28

I MEERA I

Around 7 o'clock, Karthik and Shraddha enters the apartment and Shraddha plops down on the sofa with a sigh.

"Did you get your name changed?", I ask her.

She sits up, "No. Someone forgot to bring our marriage certificate. So we'll have to go there again, tomorrow", she says as she glares at Karthik. I stifle my laugh.

"I told you I thought I had it with me. But it was my birth certificate. I'm not even sure how I messed that up", he says as he sits next to her, pulling her legs onto his lap.

"I asked you to check a hundred times", Shraddha says as she lays her head down on the armrest.

"Three times, maybe. Not a hundred times", Karthik says.

"Really, Karthi? You want to joke about it now?", Shraddha asks with a raise of her eyebrow.

"Sorry! That was the Vikram in me", he says and I jerk at the mention of his name.

I can't believe he said he liked me, today. He just confessed that he likes me and started reading the menu like it was nothing.

The nerve of that man!

I kept wondering if he was saying the truth or if he was just messing with me because he likes messing with me a lot. I wouldn't put it past him to say something like that just to see me squirm in my seat and squirm I did.

I was speechless not knowing what to say. The words "I like you too", were on the tip of my tongue. But I can't just say it like that, now, can I? And I'm still confused about what I feel towards him.

Is it just attraction? I mean we have great chemistry, the fact that we've kissed almost everytime we've been together is evidence of that fact. But what if it's just that? Then once this attraction wears off, where will that leave us, if we were to pursue this thing between us.

I know I'm over thinking like usual, but I can't help it. It's messing with my head. He is messing with my head. Everytime I'm around him, I can't think about anything else and I hate how stupidly I act in front of him. Even Diya could tell something was going on between us, and she only met us. But that was partially Vikram's fault.

"Talking about Vikram, didn't he say he'd make dinner for us?", Shraddha asks Karthi and he nods, "Oh yeah, I forgot! Let me call him", he says as he takes the phone out of his pocket. He puts his phone against his ears after pressing call.

"Did you forget something", he asks into the phone. 

After a moment of silence, Karthik says, "Yeah, we're home."

Silence.

"Not yet. Um.. I forgot to take our marriage certificate with us. So we have to go in again, tomorrow."

Silence.

"Meera? Yeah, she's here".

Silence.

"You're making it now. Come down. I have all the things ready in our kitchen. You just have to make it", Karthik says before hanging up.

"He'll be down in a minute", he says before dropping down on the couch.

"What did he ask about me?", I ask hesitantly. I know Karthik has his suspicions about us, he knows something happened. So, I don't want to make it obvious.

"What?", He asks a little distractedly.

"You said my name, so I'm guessing he said something about me", I tell him.

"Oh, that! He just asked if you were here", he says.

"Oh", I mutter.

"So, did you faint like you kept saying you would all day?", He asks.