Chapter 4

Every lunch period, without fail, I bought the tuna sandwich with a pack of lays potato chips. Today was the first day since sixth grade that I realized I could deviate from that order. Nobody noticed as I chose the pizza slice instead, with a jello on the side. But I certainly felt the difference. The weight. I felt a small part of me that was scared. Everything was changing so fast, so soon. Pizza slices now, drug of choice later.

Calm down, you moron.

My rational brain caught up with my hysterical one, luckily, as I began my way to Eddie's table.

"Milo," a familiar voice called out.

I turned to find Steve and Rowan sitting together, Steve waving me over fervently. The sight did nothing to keep the hysterical brain calm, but I was also incredibly curious as to what I was being pulled into. That curiosity won, and I cautiously lowered my tray to meet their table.

"What's up?"

"Not much, haven't seen you for a while- well, spoken with you. We've seen you, for sure." Rowan emphasized, folding her hands sweetly.

"It's been 2 days, but whatever. Your point?"

"What are you doing hanging around the freak?" Rowan snapped, waving towards Eddie wildly.

I really hoped he couldn't hear us. "He's not a freak, Rowan. He's actually- he's really nice. And funny."

"Munson? No, I heard he's a major geekwad. Into that Dungeons and Dragons game Dustin's always talking about, real basement dweller shit." Steve mumbled, poking a carrot into his jello boredly.

"Coming from the guy who hangs out with Dustin, a 14 year old basement dwelling mega-nerd." I respond dully, completely unimpressed with the present company.

"Hey- we don't hangout. I'm, like, his mentor. I mentor him." Steve defended, flicking a carrot my way.

I swatted it away. "Whatever you say- anyway, I'm gonna go, because this table's really contributing my depressed state of mind, and I'd love to not stick around-"

"I don't hang out with them anymore." Rowan rushed, maybe a tad too loud.

I glanced toward the main table, their heads quickly snapping away from my view. Somehow, I was still in the center of some dramatic plot. I turned back to Rowan, sighing.

"Why would you do that? You were perfectly happy."

"I wasn't, actually." She crossed her arms, her perfectly painted nails on display.

"I couldn't stand them for a while." Steve interjected, depression oozing from his demeanor.

I eyed them for a second before setting my tray back down. "Well? Why?"

"You're not the only one trying to find yourself, you dumbass." Rowan rolled her eyes. "Some of us are just trying to do that without a target on our back."

"I don't really care about that, honestly, but Rowan made me sit with her so she wasn't alone." Steve admits.

"But I left the pack of morons because I missed you." Rowan frowned sincerely.

I took a bite of jello, using the pause to try to think about all of this for a second. I swallowed, shaking my head. "I don't get it. So, what now?"

"What do you mean? We're gonna do our own thing, away from them. Right?" Rowan pleaded.

"I'm graduating in two days." I remind her.

She seemed to have forgotten that, going quiet and looking at the scraps left of her meal sadly.