9 Taury

Nik was carried off to the university clinic. Master Lambert assured us she was alright. Her body was just not used to using that much power. He explained it was like a muscle, it needed to be honed and strengthened. He had whispered to me during the lesson and helped me find a way to touch the light magic, saying everyone was different, but there was a base number of magic systems. Although I had tapped into mine a bit ago, he helped me really visualize what it was that I was touching. The man truly was a master in how he was able to help each person find their system deep inside of them.

When I had searched for mine, it looked like small rivers leading to lake. I could touch each one, causing ripples through them. To draw the magic out I had to pretend my hand was breathing the water in. Next thing I knew, I had created my most powerful magic yet, the light orb. Water magic was easy because the magic inside me was already rivers of elements. Lambert helped me see that all of my elements were the same.

I touched my water element inside and played with creating water orbs while we ate dinner. I could see that Dath was worried for Nik and though he bantered with Ameer during arm wrestling like normal, his demeanor was still melancholy. I understood, I was lost to my own thoughts.

I hated feeling the way I felt. I was excited to have magic and to be a natural healer. I couldn't wait to explore that more. I was so happy that Nik had finally found her magic system, I was. But I couldn't help being saddened. It felt like every time I got something right, she did it better. I knew in my heart that was not what she was doing. I was being ridiculous. But the feelings were there, nonetheless. After all of the abuse Nik has lived through, she needed something good in her life.

Annoyed with my conflicting emotions, I bid the team goodnight. I wasn't tired. Not in the least. I just needed to move, to think. Making a decision, I headed to the library we had passed on the way to Aquamancy class. The library was beautiful, and my feet echoed on the bleached stone floor.

Not knowing where to begin, I explored the shelves, touching books with strange binding as I went. After a quarter hour of wandering, I picked up on the book shelving system. The first number on the edge determined which section and the number after that determined the shelf. At the back of the library were desks and a giant wooden filing system so large that it spanned most of the back wall. I pulled open the draw nearest me to discover small cards with numbers similar to the books. Understanding, I rifled through the cards. These were books, each one of them. I shut the drawer. On the front of each drawer was the theme for the books inside.

I read through the drawers, liking the distraction, and discovering the intelligent design of the library's organization system. I saw many drawers for each element, histories of Fae and humans, the building of Salvare, and more. When I crossed by the drawer for magic systems, I pulled it open. There were so many. The drawers were deceptively deep, but I still wasn't prepared for it. I found a book called "The Five Basic Magic Systems" and memorized the number for it. I searched the shelves and found the section but not the book. The numbers stopped. Strange.

"What are you looking for?"

I turned towards the voice, my braid whipping with my head. Ugh. I turned back around annoyed.

"What are you doing here Garren?"

"I followed you. You seemed upset," he said placing his hands in his pockets. His shirt was open revealing his chest tattoo. I shifted my eyes to his face quickly. Garren was smiling at me in a teasing manner.

"I'm fine. Go back and suck on Seraphina's face."

"I'm ok where I'm at." He leaned on the pillar near me casually. "So, what are you looking for?"