46 Nik

We arrived at the university late the day after the mourning ceremony. We had stayed until the afternoon so Taury could spend some extra time with her family. Dath returned to his room immediately after we arrived. He kissed my cheek before walking up the stairs. I rubbed my eyes and said goodnight to Jakota. He gave a wave then headed to the castle pass.

Someone ran into me before I could follow everyone. I laughed and hugged Faolan back. Ameer leaned against the wall smiling at us. When I let go of Faolan, he grabbed my hand and dragged me down the hall to the library. Garren and Taury followed. I wondered if Faolan had found something but was confused by Ameer's presence.

Garren pointed out his favorite seating area, so we followed him. Taury sat on the floor claimed she favored it anyways. So, Garren joined her, and Faolan took the other seat while Ameer stood. I looked between the boys and my cousin eyed Garren, telling me they were just as confused.

"Faolan, what is going on?" I asked.

"Well, while you guys were gone, I found the book that Volar wanted us to find!"

"Book?"

Taury clapped her hand over her mouth. "I forgot to tell you! The numbers on the card you handed me, are the numbers for a book. We discovered what they meant while you were recovering and gave Faolan the task of finding it while we went to the ceremony."

I smiled warmly at my cousin and friends.

Faolan continued, "Well, I found the section on the second floor and then Emyr passed out, so I ran her to the clinic. So, I came back later that night and finally found the book. And then Volar's contact appeared." He said the whole thing in one breath, beaming ear to ear, then pointed to Ameer.

We exploded in a mix of chaotic responses asking about Emyr and her condition and questioning Ameer about his involvement with the Axion. Withing a few minutes of no clear answer to either, we all quieted down like the mature adults we were. I looked to Faolan and asked about Emyr.

"She is stable but unconscious. Syphor is with her now trying to assist your mom when he can."

"And you?" I asked Ameer.

"I am as much a student here as you are. I just so happen to also be working with Volar. He is as genuine as he seems. We cannot talk here. I will contact him, and we can meet him in private."

"But this whole time you-"

Ameer surprised me by kneeling in front of me and grabbing my hand. He flipped his locks to the side. "I am still me, Nik. I want to share everything with you. And I will but, it is not safe here."

Tears pooled my eyes. "Was our friendship a lie? Did you try to get close to me to use me?" I started to panic. I couldn't take anymore betrayal.

He reached up and covered my face with his large hands. A thumb wiped the corner of the leaking one. "I have never lied to you, and I never will. Everything I am, is true. We, are not a lie."

"I swear to the gods Ameer if you are I will gut you," I choked.

"Good," he said. All his usual playfulness gone. He met my eyes, and I believed him.

I never knew what to make of Ameer. He was always there. Either playing with or supporting me. I had utterly missed it. I had looked over him time and time again and missed it. I looked at him, taking him in. He didn't even flinch at the weight of my gaze but instead gave it back to me. Taury cleared her throat, and he dropped his hands. I spoke up with a plan.

"First thing is first, lets check on Emyr. Ameer, contact your man and let us know when and where. And the sooner the better. I have a feeling that whatever is going on with the gems, we will need all the help we can get. Until then, we must all go to class as normal. We can meet in my room for privacy from now on."

Though it was well into the night, and we were tired from traveling, I didn't want to go to bed without seeing Emyr. My mom was awake talking in quiet tones to Syphor while Emyr slept. My mom greeted my friends and I in hugs then pointed to the hall so we could talk freely.

"Emyr isn't doing well guys," she said regretfully. "Her skin is already greying which tells me she has been fighting the parasite for a while."

"What can we do?" I asked fighting more tears.

"I am not sure. Maybe you can ask Jorah and see if he has any idea what could be going on. I already asked him of course, but Ahren said he seems to have taken a liking to you."

My friends and I all nodded in agreement, happy with having a direction to start. Before I joined everyone in heading to bed, I had wanted to ask mom something.

"So, Ahren huh?"

"I'm not sure what you're talking about," she responded flatly.

"Uh huh. Well, I like him." I teased her.

She leaned on the door frame and grinned with a hand on her hip. "Well, I like Ameer."

"We're done talking." I turned to leave.

Mom laughed. "That's what I thought."