23 Nik

The morning after our kiss at the dock, Alden had knocked on my door. He placed a sweet kiss on my cheek and pulled out an elegantly wrapped present from behind his back. It was a small box, covered in white paper with swirls of gold and topped with a gold fabric bow. I had never gotten a present before. Not being able to contain myself I snatched it from him with a squeal and sat on my couch. He shut my door and joined me.

I tore the ribbon off and saved it. The box inside was black velvet. I stole a glace at Alden who scratched his chin nervously. I smiled and opened the box. Inside was a strong silver chain, each link hammered in such a way that it shimmered in the light.

"It's for the pendant that you have from your grandmother. You said you didn't have a chain. I can help you put it on if you want."

Tears brimmed my eyes and I busied myself with rummaging through my new bag to find the pendant. I threaded the chain through it, and it truly completed the piece. I placed it in his hands and put my back to him. Alden reached around and brushed my hair aside, his fingers sending a thrill down my spine, lower, even. He clasped the chain then tangled his hands in my hair, gently tilting it to the side.

"Do you know how long I've been wanting to do this?" He breath tickled my ear. The pressure of his body against my back made my heart pound.

"What?" I breathed.

He brought his lips to the back of my neck, feather light. Tiny kisses trailed my neck. He made his way to the side, behind my ear. I shivered, bumps rising on my skin. A sigh escaped me. He tilted my head more and I turned my body so he could have more access. He continued his path of kisses down my chin, and I leaned back into him. His hand was caught between my head and the back of the couch. I couldn't catch my breath. I caught the sweat scent of him, fresh soap and firewood. He kissed the corners of my mouth and wrapped his other hand around my body. I couldn't help the sound that came out of me. He hovered over my mouth, breathing the same air as me. He let the tip of his lips touch mine. Then, pulled away.

"More later. We are going to be late to class and we still need to eat."

I laid back and groaned in frustration. My body weak in all the right places. He chuckled as he helped me up from the couch and placed a chaste kiss on my nose. He was too much. I touched the necklace, pleased with the new weight.

"Thank you. For the chain. It means a lot."

His face split into a boyish grin. As we walked to the dining hall, I brought up what I had been dreading.

"So, um, can we wait to tell everyone else about us? Taury is still pissed at me. And frankly, I'm pissed at her. And I still don't know what to do about Dath, he's been my friend my whole life and I don't want to mess things up more than they already are." I was rambling and I knew it.

Alden brought a finger to my lips.

"What ever you need. Your time. Your pace. That's how it has always been."

We parted way when we entered for breakfast. I went to grab a plate, but Ameer, sitting at his spot at the Prime table, flagged me down and pointed to the table. He had already gotten me some. Sweet thing. I took my seat next to him and went to grab a macaroon. He snatched the whole plate placing it high out of reach. But he grabbed just one and placed it on mine.

"Cruel cruel man. No more ear scratches for you."

He genuinely reconsidered for a second the shrugged deciding his fate.