30 Dath

I thrust my sword forward using the basic formations before moving on to the more advanced ones. I had been coming to the training grounds ever since seeing Nik during the Night of Nix. She looked so beautiful and sexy in the all-white demonic outfit. I didn't want to be around Alden pursuing her, knowing what his intentions were. While I wasn't going to get in the way of her making her own choices, I had decided to stop being afraid of the way I felt for her.

Sweat poured from me as I threw my frustrations into training. I was angry at myself for waiting so long to do something about Nik. The more I stewed in my thoughts, the more my temper flared. I screamed and threw my sword to the ground, rocks flying everywhere as I accidently unleashed earth magic.

"What has you so angry, Dathford?"

I spun around at my rarely used given name. Erix had entered the grounds, hands clasped in front of himself. I sighed and debated how much to tell him. But he beat me to it, reading my mind.

"Is it Niktda?"

"Yes," I bit out.

"Come to my office and have a chat?"

Not finding a good enough excuse to deny the man in charge, I swiped my sword from the ground and slammed it onto the rack. I walked past him into the hallway and then let him lead the way. He walked us to the dinning hall. On the master's stage, he opened the same wall I had seen Alden take Nik into the first day. Erix motioned for me to sit on the couch, and he sat across from me on his short table. His hand between his legs casually.

"What makes you worry for our girl?" he asked

I rubbed the back of my neck considering my answer. "I don't know. She just seems so lost sometimes. Almost like I can't reach her."

"Is it her power do you think?"

"Maybe."

"Well, son. Can I air my concerns as well?" Erix scratched at his beard. I gestured for him to continue.

"I fear for dear Niktda. She is more powerful than she knows. Look what she accomplished in the garden and with the ice during the second trial. She accomplished that without even trying. What happens when she begins to make an effort?"

"I'm not understanding?" I was beginning to get annoyed.

Erix stood up and began to pace his office with his hands behind back.

"What happens if she gets too powerful? How do we stop her in an emergency? I've seen Fae get lost in their power before. They lose themselves and implode from the power. They call it the Myst. It isn't common, but when it happens it is destructive."

I went white with fear. My heart began to pound. I wasn't sure what I would do if something were to happen to Nik.

"Why are you coming to me then? I am not strong enough to stop something like that from happening." I leaned forward, placing my elbows on my knees.

Erix paced again before answering. He picked up a trinket from his shelf and fiddled with it.

"No. Not yet. I was hoping you would agree to being a failsafe for her in the event that she begins to get lost in her power."

"How would I do something like that?" I didn't agree to anything by asking. But he looked pleased by my curiosity all the same.

He walked back to where I sat and peered down at me. "It is very simple. You promise me that you will protect my girl, and I will give you the power to do so."

Erix stuck out his hand to me. I took it and we shook. On the down beat of our shake, a thick black tattoo encircled my forearm. I hissed at the burn. The power already thrumming through my body.