60 Faolan

After class on Terrus, I wandered the market, trying to clear my thoughts before the last trial in just three days. The nerves of my team were high with each day coming up on the trial. Our families were invited, so we would have a large audience. The trials would determine if we earned our master's robes or not. The on-going uncertainty of the shadow magic and Rion's involvement made preparing almost impossible.

As I walked, Nik and Taury were telling Syrena and Ahren our discovery. Nik had grabbed enough replacement quartz from Jorah's closet that they could help her mom and Ahren. I scratched behind my ear feeling jittery. I saw a black leather cuff in a shop window. Curious, I walked in to get a better look. There was a wolf burned into it and it buckled snuggly against a wrist. I smiled and bought it for Evander.

Ever since the spring equinox, Evander and I had been meeting in secret at the inn by Salvare Port when we could. We never touched or did anything romantic like we craved. But we ate and talked. Usually there was teasing and laughing. One particular time, Evander grabbed my hand under the table sweetly. I hated the secrecy, but I hated the idea of him getting abused by his father more.

Holding his gift in my mouth, I shifted to run towards the inn. My heart pounded with the anticipation of seeing him. I made it to the edge of where the grass met the sand and was about to shift back. I let go of my string I had to pull to shift when I saw Sharin and Rion walking into the inn. Evander couldn't be seen with me. I stayed as a wolf, hoping it was less recognizable than my Fae form. Walking to the window, I watched Evander hide behind his food menu. Rion and his girlfriend walked to the bar like they owned it. The said something to the barkeep and he lifted the counter door so thy could walk through and into a back room. What the Hells? Evander's eyes met mine in the window and he pointed to the door with his chin.

He met me outside and led me to the back to the stables, where horses were being tended to for travelers. I shifted and handed Evander his gift unceremoniously. He pocketed it. The time not appropriate for opening.

Evander attempted to peer into the back window. "We have to find out what they are doing."

"Is there a way to hear them better?"

His eyes widened and replied, "You're a genius." He grabbed my face and gave me a quick kiss. Summoning a small stream of air, he threaded it under the window. We crouched down to hide behind a stall. He turned the air into a small tube of wind, directing the air towards us. We heard some voices but not well enough. Together, we leaned forward, ears nearly touching the wind.

"I don't care how you do it! You need to kill the girl," a voice we didn't recognize said.

"Do you have any idea how hard that is going to be? My brother is in love with her!" Rion shouted.

Sharin's sultry voice came through sounding bored. "Rion, please stop shouting."

The stranger sighed and calmly retorted, "You don't have a choice. Bexian cannot return. If he gets ahold of her, we will all be in grave danger."

"I know," Rion said with regret thick in his throat.

Evander cut the wind tunnel off and we stared at each other. His face read disbelief and he looked utterly defeated. I was holding back tears at the danger Nik was in. We had to tell her. Both of us shifted and ran back to the university. We looked for her in the library, her rooms, the trained grounds. We couldn't find her anywhere. Not even Taury knew where she was when we told her everything we had discovered. We waited in the Prime pod for her to arrive, hoping she was out late with her mom after removing gauntlets. But she never came.