28 Taury

I loved the smell of the herb shop. It was fresh, earthy, with a hint of rain. I had stopped in the shop before shopping for jewelry and shoes for the ball in a week. More students had begun getting weaker. It seemed that those with lower magic potency got hit the hardest with the parasite. Aunt Syrena and I hadn't found a solution. Lambert grew angrier as the students grew sicker. He had entered their mind the way he had that first day in Auramancy, finding nothing. We had four students in the infirmary, which led me to the shop first.

I placed some dead nettle into my basket with the dandelion root, and garlic for the fevers. Aunt Syrena had also requested a full restock on thistles for temporary sterility and wild carrot seed to prevent implantation after sex. She had said she expected many more requests after the winter masque than even the Night of Nix. I had gone back to my rooms that night, not wanting to be pursued or disappointed. Annoyed at myself, I grabbed some extra pregnancy preventing herbs and paid for them.

Emyr, Lilta, Zither, and Rayze had waited for me while they licked on their ice cream. I hated chocolate, much to Nik's annoyance, so I had foregone the ice cream. Emyr had warmed up to me a little more after seeing Nik and I talking on the boat after the trial three weeks ago. The five of us walked to the jewelry store, ready to spend the gold the king had awarded us. We had rummaged through the dresses that had arrived and I had settled on two to choose from so I knew about what I was looking for to match either of them.

The store was just across from the clothing shop where we bought our demon costumes. Inside was both beautiful and disgusting. Every shelf, display, and window glittered with jewelry of all kinds. I had never had something so nice. I window shopped awkwardly, not knowing where to begin. As I made way around the store, I accidentally bumped into someone.

"Sorry," I mumbled, not looking up.

"It's ok," came a familiar sugary sweet voice. Gods no. I groaned. Seraphina caught my arm before I could march away. I glared at her. "Wait, please. I've been meaning to talk to you, and I was going to tonight, but you're here now. Gods sorry, this wasn't how I had planned it to be. I'm sorry. I'm just so nervous." She looked to the other girls who were pouring over a display case. "Can we go somewhere in private to talk? I know you don't want your shopping interrupted. It's important I swear."

"Fine." I waved my hand to the door signaling her to walk. She thanked the shop lady, and we went outside. "Let's sit at the tables over there." I pointed to the ice cream shop. We sat down and I waited for her to speak. She twisted her hands, freaking out. Her normal sex appeal and confidence nowhere in sight. I crossed my arms in frustration.

"So, gods, where do I begin? Well, see my dad, he doesn't have magic and-"

"I know. You faked your scores in school and you're super smart blah blah blah. I heard you tell Nik."

She looked down, her leg now bouncing wildly as she began to panic.

"Well, my dad, he wants heirs to his fortune. As a Lord that is what is expected of each generation. But he doesn't just want any heirs, he wants pure. He- I hate this word ok so don't make me say it again. He hates Rustmutts."

She cringed as she said the vile term for Fae halflings.

"He arranged with Lord Zondervan for Garren and I to get to know each other. Which was fine, we had always been good friends. But then they started asking questions. They wanted to know about our sex life, if we were compatible and-"

I stood up, done with the conversation. "I'm not listening to this."

"No Taury wait please. It's not what you think."