41 Dath

Grandma Mysie had been buried in her orchard as she had requested. Kayanna had done the best she could preserving the body as they waited for our arrival. She had done a beautiful job dressing her in her favorite frock and apron. She even added some delicate makeup on her thin cheeks. The wooden casket had been carved and donated by Lord Zondervan to which I was eternally grateful.

Though I could tell that many of the town wanted to ask us about our time at Salvare University, they remained respectful during the ceremony. I still hadn't cried. Didn't want to. It was all my fault. I didn't deserve to throw a fit and cry over killing my grandmother. I had sentenced her to death when I left. I knew I had and did it anyway. The thoughts had my vision going black and I clenched my fists, willing my bear to calm down.

I looked to Nik who looked so powerful in her all-black attire. Some temple workers shoveled dirt over Grandma. She had fallen asleep in my arms before dinner the night before. I didn't dare move. It was a moment I had dreamed about for years and was not about to ruin it. Taury's mom had graciously handed me a bowl of soup which I ate as Nik slept.

I stared at the dirt splashing onto the casket. The sound grating my ears. Nik was still so tired from the third trial. I had taken a step forward when she remained in the water to say Emyr. But when she dried the lake of water and lifted it above our heads I feared for her power. I shook, knowing she hadn't tapped into her reserves, which Taury had voiced aloud that day. When I went to stop her from losing herself to her own power, Ameer had rushed out to her. What ever he had whispered, caused her to lower the water after Emyr made it to shore. What no one had told her though, was that in that moment, for just a second, her eyes glowed. It was a strange unspoken mutual decision to not tell her.

I looked at her instead of the godsforsaken hole in the ground. She felt my gaze and smiled sweetly. When she walked over to me and grabbed my hand in support, my vision cut out again. All I felt was pure rage. She was going to be my undoing. My curse of love.