43 Faolan

We rushed Emyr to the medical wing desperate to get her to Nik's mom and Lambert as fast as we could. She was breathing, but barely. Lilta had seen us running. Emyr flopped lifelessly in my arms. Lilta immediate took off to find Syphor knowing he truly cared for her despite them never admitting it to each other.

I wanted so badly for her to be able to escape into the nights again. To join him in the skies like they did most nights. Two phoenixes lighting up the night as they danced in the air. Rayze ran beside me as we skipped up the stairs, two at a time. Please don't be dead. It's not to late. I kept rambling off lie after lie to myself.

We crashed through the clinic doors and Syrena spun around in alarm. Seeing us, she whipped back the sheets of an empty bed and I gently place my friend atop it. Not minutes after Syphor bound through the door, worry and panic clouding their face.

"When did this happen?" Syrena asked while already crushing herbs.

"Just a moment ago." I huffed down air. "We were in the library, and she collapsed."

"Has she been showing any signs of the crystal sickness?"

"No. Not that I-" I looked around the room. Oh gods. "The trial! She couldn't do magic like she usually could. That was why Nik had to help her."

"And Nik had said she was gray then," Ameer had entered the room with Evander.

Syphor, fierce with anger asked, "But why didn't she say anything?"

"Because, Nik had been passed out and left just hours ago for a mourning ceremony. She either likely forgot or thought nothing of it." Syrena came to her daughter's defense.

Syphor relaxed a little at that then whispered in desperation for help.

I looked to my dying friendand realized that I needed to hurry and find that godsdamned book.