53

It was difficult to go about classes as normal. Those of us that visited Volar were apprehensive of Rion and the shadow magic of the gauntlets. Collectively, we decided not to use our gauntlets since removing them was not yet possible. We sat in Umbramancy class and Elve was explaining how to make a tangible darkness. She had long since forgiven me for accidently killing the tiny beings in the everstone at the beginning of the school year.

To make tangible darkness, we had to picture the blackness thickening into a blanket or rope. It all depended on our intention. Garren and Zither were already playing around with their tangible darkness. Garren was teasing Taury and tying her up with his rope. She struggled and glared at him which only encouraged him further. Eventually she conjured her own darkness and whipped him in the ass with it. Sera roared with laughter at her friends. Zither smiled sweetly at Sera and covered them in a soft cloud of black until their whispering got cut off. Dath sat on the side of the room throwing up orbs of darkness, impressively turning them tangible mid-air. Rayze and Lilta were struggling to even make a coin sized orb. Jiaxin watched Faolan and Evander jealously as they kept hiding under their own dark cloud. Rion and Sharin were playing with snaping their fingers and producing small spurts of blackness, bored with the task. Alden sat near Ameer and I, the three of us trying the task, but distracted for various reasons.

Your shield is down.

I turned to Ameer and Alden eyed us suspiciously.

Is not. You can talk to me but not enter my thoughts.

Ameer looked away and drenched himself in blackness. I rolled my eyes at him, and Alden chuckled. I double checked my shield just in case, and my diamond wall was indeed intact.

You should really try this. It will become useful for the spring equinox.

I accessed my dark magic and swirled it around my fingers. Achar eyed the swirls and when I brought them closer to his golden form, he swatted at them like a kitten. I shook my head at the strange tattoo.

Why the spring equinox?

Ameer snickered teasingly behind his darkness. Alden looked his direction in judgment. Our secret conversation was going unnoticed, but the effects weren't always so easily hidden.

I am surprised your boyfriend didn't tell you. It is the celebration of fertility and renewal. The people of Salvare call it the day of Giving. My culture calls it The Bestowing.

I covered myself in a basic flat darkness that anyone could walk through. I wasn't ready to attempt the full task yet, nervous that I would cast too hard and stand out again.

What does it entail?

Ameer had physically entered me darkness and stood right next to me. He didn't touch me, just stood there, his presence brushing against every other sense.

The Bestowing makes the Night of Nix look tame.

I swallowed and turned to face where I thought he stood. I could feel his magic entwining with mine like it had before.

And what would you know what the Night of Nix entailed?

I knew I was asking a dangerous question.

Did you think I did not participate? You are not the only one that watched from the trees. There is a clear line of sight to the old temple from the forest.