42 Nik

I held Dath's hand the whole ceremony he shook from the building sadness in him, and his face got red from not shedding the tears he so desperately needed to. His hand clenched mine but he was careful not to hurt me. He was always careful. A quiet bear always protecting. Always caring. As my uncle spoke about Grandma Mysie never wavering when life through its next challenge, tears fell all around. Garren had grabbed Taury at some point and held her firmly by the shoulders.

The somber moment reminded me of a long-lost dream. A dream of what could have been. We stood together as childhood friends in the town we grew up in, changed forever. Four human friends who discovered they were Fae. United for the loss of the grandmother that adopted everyone into her family. I didn't wipe my cheeks, refusing to let go of Dath when he could glean strength from me. Taury didn't even get mad at her own crying like she usually did.

When my uncle finished his speech, we all picked an apple from Grandma Mysie's beloved orchard. We took a bite and threw the apples in before they were covered up for good. Dath stared at the fresh earth unsure what to do next. Following instinct or impulse, I wasn't sure, I drew on my Terramancy. Using the magic, the way I had in the university garden, I found one of apples in the ground and pulled the seeds from it. I focused, holding the same hand I held then.

Taury caught on and added her water as the trees began to sprout. Garren followed as he added in the light. I fed the trees all of the nutrients the ground could offer. All around us, the orchard grew into one that would make her proud. She could be with her life's work forever. A surge of guilt ran through me. I regrated that I did not have the magic back then that I did in that moment. We would have been able to help her more. Dath face held single wet path on his face as a tear finally broke through.

"Thank you," he whispered to us.

The people of the town that had attended the ceremony were in awe of the work the four of us had accomplished. We helped empty fields and troughs become full and prosperous. We repaired the cobblestone roads wither new rocks as needed and cleaned out the fountain making clear water flow. It was all a tribute to Grandma Mysie. She loved Asuraville and its people and always spoke about the potential it had.

On our way back to Taury's house, Garren promised he would make a better lord. He was unhappy about the way his father handled the town and the people suffered as he kept his magic to himself. We passed by the few houses that were before my aunt and uncle's and a man emerged from the trees wobbling on the street in front of us.