Forty-Four

Link has gotten busier. With the Tournament looming over him, he spent every available moment studying and asking Sirius about offensive and defensives spells beyond his year. He even brushed up on both Charms and Transfiguration though he has the least talent for either. In addition to this, he also studies on Creatures extensively.

Sirius upon hearing of his involvement with the Tournament, decided to stay close by renting a room at the Three Broomsticks. Even though he has been cleared all charges, many witches and wizards avoided him thus it was one of the main reasons he spent more time on the mundane side as opposed to staying close to the magical side. But for Link, he would face all the discomfort that magical society could throw at him. Unfortunately, Remus couldn't come along especially due to his now known status as a werewolf along with the tightening regulations on all none wizards or witches.

Sirius even asked Dumbledore permission to help tutor Link, saying that he's far outranked in term of skills when compared to his more senior opponents. Besides, Link would not ask for help in regard to the Tournament and there are no rules stopping the Champions from brushing up their skills. In the end, Dumbledore gave permission for as long as it has nothing to do with helping Link through the Tournament's trials itself.

As the Champion will have to stand alone in terms of investigating and overcoming the trials, Sirius became more of a mentor for studying than an actual helper. However, taking note of this 'loophole' the other schools also started to tutor and mentor their selected Champions. The ministry official presiding over the whole thing couldn't interfere because it didn't break any rules. If they were to stop them, then the Champions must stop attending classes altogether.

As for Cedric, he had his Head of House mentor him on his skills as opposed to Link being mentored by Sirius or the Headmaster/Headmistress mentoring their respective Champions. This way, no one can claim Dumbledore for favoring either one of the Champions. Mr. Diggory had tried to do what Sirius had done but unfortunately he could not dedicate himself due to his job, thus he leave Cedric in the hands of Sprout.

Thus it goes with Link's current schedule. For fairness, another teacher will preside over their session for impartiality as well to be witness that they do not cheat. McGonagall preside over Cedric and Sprout while to be doubly certain for all parties involved, Snape presided over Link and Sirius. Since everyone and their cats know of the animosity between Snape and Sirius, no one would doubt his impartial witness.

Meanwhile, a ministry officials will watch over the other Champions' session so that no one could accuse Hogwarts of sabotaging the other school Champions should anything happen during the Tournament.

Needless to say, Sirius's involvement changes a whole lot of things...

Ron sat with his friends as they watched Sirius showing Link an Auror approved defensive move against an attack. He sighed, "Link is so busy these days,"

Hermione looked up from her book, "What do you expect? If he don't take this seriously, he'll die or worse maimed,"

Ron glanced at her from the corner of his eyes and shook his head, "You still need you to check your priorities,"

Neville looked up from the fashion catalogues he had asked from his Gran, "Ron, how about this style?"

Ron looked at it, "I'm not so sure, Neville. Might clash with my hair," He then returned to what he was doing; practicing his color changing Transfiguration. The burnt orange he had managed to turn from the previous mud brown is slowly burning his eyes.

The three were helping Ron with his dress robes. He's still terrible and the worse he had done to it was cutting up most of the frills and laces that's far from flattering him. He had hoped to master the color and texture transfiguration spells before whatever it was that requires him to wear the monstrosity passed to him from Great Aunt Tessie.

The least he could do is to look less like he come from Dumbledore's time...

Meanwhile, Sirius had noticed that Link has an extremely agile physique and remarkable reflex as well as top notch hand and eyes coordination. Added with the fact that he has what can only be endless stamina, Sirius's only job would be to add to his spell casting arsenal and more Creature knowledge.

It's unfortunate that James' skill on the broom has not been passed down unto Link. He had not believed Link's friends and even Hooch's words about Link being completely hopeless when it comes to flying so he had bought the best broom, a Firebolt, that summer and watched with great anticipation. If Link's bad with flying, Sirius could help him with his posture.

At least that was the plan...

Link didn't even take off...

What posture? If he can't take off, how would Sirius help him with postures?

Then Link showed his splendid equestrian skill with that Hippogriff Hagrid calls Buckbeak as well as the perfect flying on a beast posture and Sirius wondered what went wrong with his best friend's gene.

But all that aside, in terms of physical prowess Link outstrip all the other contestant. Just the other day Sirius saw Pomona running that Cedric kid through an obstacle course that he has seen Auror trainees use. Morgana's hat, he had run through that course in his early days as Auror himself!

Severus watched the two danced around each other, dodging (or rather fencing in Link's case) as spells after spells flew at each other. As expected Black lacked in the more gruesome offensives but that's to be expected. Black, for all his rebellion to his family, refuses to use anything even remotely dark. But Link has no qualm in using his surrounding, making use of something as simple as the levitation Charm taught in First Year to rip out roots and flinging rocks at his opponent.

Severus concluded that Link will en extremely difficult opponent to duel. The boy has his shielding spell perfectly applied but not only that, he uses his body more than his wand. That made targeting him hard and the fact that he snap up his shield in an instant or flinging the spells away from his person, redirecting their trajectory, make him an impossible opponent.

Honestly, that boy would have the Tournament in the bag if it wasn't because the trials are not about dueling. Severus has a niggling feeling that the boy would have been perfectly fine if the Tournament was an all-out battle royal, he would even come out on top.

Besides, as Severus studied the look in Link's eyes, the boy is a survivor to the bone. The way he studies his opponent and keeping his senses open showed how use he is to danger. He even use Black's movement to his advantage, making feints when he least expect it.

Severus looked away to the sky and see what the student dubbed "Link's Hippogriff" flying in circle above before a sharp whistle caught its attention. The students watched in captivation as it dives down, turn its body and caught Link's out stretched hands, catching him as he ride on its back.

Sirius called out, "Foul, Link! You're not supposed to fly!"

The boy cheekily answered with laughter in his voice, "All is fair in war and love, Sirius, all is fair in war and love!!"

Severus snorted from his spot under the tree. If only the first trial is not against a dragon...