Chapter 4

Hazel and Nick were assigned to grab firewood for the bonfire tonight. They decided to take a path near the lake. Each grabbing a few sticks along the way. Both were quiet not knowing what to really say. "Its uh very nice out. Especially the sunset." Nick said.

"What?" Hazel looked at him not paying attention at all.

"Its nice out." He repeats himself.

"Ah. Yeah it is."

Awkward.

They both come across a sign pointing in two different directions. "Where should we go?" He asked. Hazel turns, smiling. "Why don't you choose?" She said.

He nods. Looking at the signs.

Rocky Road or Shady Glade

Decision: Rocky Road

He points to the path ahead of them. Hazel agreed with his decision. "Good choice. Better sticks this way." She started walking beside him, closely.

"Better sticks?"

"Yeah, for like burning..." She laughs a little and continued picking up a few sticks. Both of them had equal amount but weren't sure if they had enough. "You think we got enough?"

"No. Need a few more." Nick didn't want to leave just yet. He really wanted to have a conversation with Hazel. Get to know her more. Before tomorrow.

"So got a big date back in New York? Heard there is a big um event after camp. You know the annual thing they do before school starts." He said.

"Actually I don't know what you're talking about. They don't really have an event in Times Square for that kinda thing. But they do have that ice rink that's normally open in the winter. Always wanted to go there." She smiled thinking about it.

"Why don't you?"

"Because its not fun on your own. I don't really have people to talk to. I made friends here and I like them all. Except Emma of course."

Nick didn't know that she didn't have friends back home. It surprised him. Who wouldn't want to be friends with her. "I'm flattered you like me then." He chuckled.

"Of course. You literally are the best! I mean, you are the best cook out there who should definitely work in a restaurant. Maybe be a private chef?" 

Nick couldn't help but laugh. "Not my thing. I mean I loved cooking for the kids and the staff but its just not me." He still was unsure on what to do. Hazel knew he loved the outdoors and that wilderness career he wants to do sounds like him.

"Well you can secretly do it."

Hazel walked ahead of Nick going by a sign that said 'Danger! Falling Rocks.'

Nick looked at the path ahead and was a little worried. "Are you sure this is safe?"

"What are you scared?" Hazel smiled.

"No..are you?"

"Not at all. Don't worry I'll protect you." She held out her hand for him.

"Isn't it the mans job to protect the girl from danger?" He looked at her.

"In the movies and shows. Yes, but this is real life. Anything can happen."

Nick declined the hand offer as he lets her continue walking on the path. Hazel went over by the area where the falling rocks were. Well they were sturdy and didn't look like they would fall on them.

As they continued on both could hear noises. Sounds of tiny rocks falling down to the ground. This didn't feel safe at all. What if a giant rock hit Hazel or Nick? Nick checked their surroundings as he was behind her, making sure he would spot her in case anything happened.