Chapter 11

The four of them walked away from the lodge heading to the radio hut. Kaitlyn and Abi were farther in front of Nick and Hazel. "Hey you guys go on ahead." Hazel told them. 

"Alright just be careful."

Hazel turned to look at Nick. "I know what you're going to say...." He mumbled.

"Nick.."

He looks away from her. "I almost killed him, if you hadn't-"

"Nick. Stop." She took both her hands in his. "You were protecting me. You are safe too. That's what matters. Look, ever since you got attacked you have been acting strange probably from that infection but its not changing anything about us."

Nick looked back at her. "Us?"

Hazel nods. "Yeah, us."

"Does that mean you want to pursue this after you know tonight?"

"No. I want to pursue it now." She admits.

Hazel could tell he looked different, it said it all there on him. His skin, the dark veins. She didn't know that his eyes were not their normal hazel color.

Nick Appreciates Her Being Honest

"We can do this. We will get out of here and have something to pursue. Together." She smiled.

The two held hands and they catch up with the girls. At least nothing has attacked them. 

"Kaitlyn. There is an animal around the radio hut. Get inside a cabin now!" Ryan shouts on the intercom.

Spoke too soon.

"The cabin!" Abi said. Emma and her broke into the one on the far side to get there bags. Thank god they did that.

They all went into the cabin and Abi closed the door behind and sat there, hiding. Hazel and Nick were next to each other. They all could hear the creature outside. 

Nick could smell her scent even more now. It was unbearable, in a good way. His arm wraps around her waist, pulling her closer to his chest. Hazel didn't mind it. He wanted her close to him. She was his and only his.

His eyes look to the window seeing the creature. A growl escaped his lips. Nick wanted to go out there and fight it to protect her.

Then a loud static ring echoed through the woods. Nick groaned in pain and let go of Hazel, his hands covering his ears. 

Its like his ears were very sensitive. That noise was super loud. Hazel and the others could hear it as well and covered their ears.

It wasn't long until it went away. Nick breathes heavily and hunched over on the floor. "Nick!" Hazel placed her hands on his back. Her touch sent shivers through his body but it was able to calm him.

"I'm okay." He whispered.

Hazel helped him up. "Come on, lets meet the others." She said.

The two rejoined everyone who were all outside. Everyone was accounted for, all alive.

"Is it safe?" Kaitlyn asked.

"I think so, for now." Ryan told them. His face was covered in spats of blood. Hazel looked at Dylan and saw him covered in blood too, her eyes trail down to his left hand. His hand was gone.

"Dylan..." She points to his missing hand. It was bandaged up thanks to Ryan but it shocked her that this happened while they were in the lodge.

"What happened?"