Chapter 10

Hazel sat next to Nick as he lays there quietly. The two didn't really know what to say at all. Nick stared at her. He told her to leave him out there but she came back and saved him from that hunter.

"Hazel.." He said.

She turns her head to look at him. "Yeah?"

"Thank you for saving me back there." He said with a smile.

"I told you before, I couldn't leave you behind. I'm sorry that you got hurt. I stood there doing nothing an-" His hand touched hers.

"You're here with me now, that helps. A lot."

The two smile at each other. "I'm glad that I'm here with you." She said.

He rubbed his fingers over her thumb. Nick wished they spent more time together during camp. That one night they had, was the best day ever. That kiss at the bonfire wasn't the first time they kissed. Both of them knew that night was the night they both fell in love. Of course they promised to keep it to themselves and not tell anyone else.

That's why they both played dumb. Perfect plan. Their feelings were real.

Suddenly, the lights went off and they both didn't know what happened. Maybe it just got turned off. Kaitlyn walked into the room with a shotgun in her hand.

"Alright, we couldn't find food unfortunately. But the boys are off to find a radio or something." She told them.

"And I'm assuming you have that gun for protection." Hazel points to the gun.

"Yeah. You got a bow and here I am with this. Its for protection. They found this in Mr. H's office."

"And the lights?" Hazel adds.

"Don't know. Power probably went out."

Kaitlyn turns her attention towards Nick. She saw them holding hands. "Hope I'm not interrupting something."

Nick laughs. "Very funny."

"So they are going to the radio hut right?"

Kaitlyn nods. "Phones dead. They're gonna try and send an SOS or something."

Out of there all of them hear something right above them. "I thought you said they left?" Nick whispered.

"They did. I'll go check it out." Kaitlyn said.

"Kaitlyn.." Hazel said. "Be careful."

Kaitlyn nods and walks out of the room. Hazel sighs and sat down in the chair wondering if her friend was okay. She wanted to go out there too but didn't want to leave Nick alone. He was still injured.

"Hey, so this may not be like the best time per se, but like..." He paused and looked her.

"What." She said curious on where he was going with this.

"Yeah so, I was just, you know thinking about like, the start of summer and where we first met and uh the start of camp and well like since summer is over and you know is that like the last time we gonna see each other you know?" He looked down.

"Nick, this won't be the last time we see each other. I know we are in a situation where we could die o-"

Nick sits up. "No. I won't let that happen." He clenched his jaw. "I wouldn't let anyone hurt you."

Hazel was little taken back seeing him get so upset about that. He cared for her though. "I know, but if anything happened. I wouldn't let anyone hurt you either." Nick calmed down a little. Relived by her answer.

"Sorry. I was upset that you got hurt because of me."

"It wasn't your fault Nick. Don't blame yourself."