Chapter 8

As they walked closer to whatever was in the woods the growl got louder and louder. It was close. Hazel walked behind Nick. She really wished that she had her bow, in case this animal would attack. 

"What the hell is it?" Hazel asked him.

"I'm not sure. Not a bear. Too growly."

"Nick let's just head back." Her hand grabbed his. "Please." She begged.

Nick could tell she was scared but he wanted to protect her. Maybe they should leave. He thought he could see the animal. Immediately it snarled at them.

"RUN!" He shouts.

Nick pulled her as they both ran, their hands still intertwined. As Nick went up the steps he looked around until he saw it heading to them. He pushed Hazel away as it lunged at him. The two hit the ground.

Hazel fell down the steps and heard Nick crying out. Screaming. She came to and got up immediately seeing the creature mauling him. "No! NO! Get the hell off him!" Hazel shouts. 

She could hear its teeth digging into his skin. His bones. Was he going to die? Why was she just standing there?

A small branch was by her and she quickly picked it up. Swinging it right at its head. It gets knocked off Nick but had its eyes now on Hazel.

The creature stopped and looks at her. It growled. A gunshot echoes through the woods. Hazel watched the creature flee away from Nick. She could see blood everywhere on him.

The steps were right behind him. She could go get help but leave him alone to die from blood loss. Or she could try and help him.

Help Nick or Leave him

Hazel quickly went over to Nick who was still laying on the ground in pain. "Nick.." The wound was on his leg and its didn't look good. He had blood on his clothes, his hair. "Nick I'm going to get you out of here." She grabbed his hand and tried to pull him up.

Hazel Chose to Help Nick

She didn't have the strength to pull him up all by herself.

"Hazel..." He groaned. "Leave me. I don't want you getting hurt..." He said.

"No. I'm not leaving you."

Suddenly the creature jumped on her and pins her on the ground. It snarls as it tries to bite her. Her hands were pushing it, trying get it off her. She screamed. Hoping someone would hear her.

"Hazel!" Nick shouts. 

The creature finally was able to claw her arm deeply as blood drips down her arm. She winced in pain but had to make sure it wouldn't bite her.

Another shot rings out and hits the creature as it gets off her, fleeing back into the woods. Hazel looked over seeing Nick. He was trying to force himself to get up. 

"Run..."

Hazel didn't want to leave him but he didn't want her to get injured like him. "Run!" He shouts again. 

She ran. Hazel left him. Nick wouldn't blame her at all, at least she tried before.

Why did leave him there? What the hell is wrong with you?

As Hazel was running through the woods the creature was already following behind her. "Shit!" She noticed it behind her and kept running.

Hazel stopped and looked at two paths near her. Either hide in a tree trunk or just keep running. She had to figure out what to do. Then it hit her. Her archery stuff was in the van back at the lodge.