- runaway -

requested by OrngsRGood! i hope this is okay!
———————————————————————-

trigger warning: homophobia

you sat on the edge of your bed, tears clouding your vision. your very homophobic parents had just found out about you and robin and they had forbid you from seeing her ever again. you knew this would happen but it still hurt regardless. now, you were in your room, throwing clothes and other belongings in a bag. the bag was almost full. the last thing you put into it was your walkie-talkie, the one that you used to talk to robin on. your parents left the house after they found out about you and robin. you threw the bag over your shoulder and quickly left your house, not looking back. you had nowhere to go, it was only you and your parents in hawkins. you didn't want to disturb robin so you just started walking as far away from your house as you could. it was quite late so nobody would realise you were gone.

the next morning, robin rubbed her eyes and sat up in her bed, reading over and picking up the phone receiver. she dialled your number and held the receiver to her ear as she heard it ring. she waited and waited for you to pick up but you obviously never did. robin furrowed her eyebrows and sat the receiver down. it wasn't like you not to answer her calls but she shook it off and convinced herself it was probably because you were still sleeping. robin threw on her family video uniform before running out of the house and began walking to the store. luckily, it wasn't that far from her house so she would walk there almost every morning and get fresh air. the only times she never walked was when you or steve took her to work.

robin reached family video and pushed open the glass doors, steve was already stacking tapes on the shelves. he looked up when he heard the door open. "you're late." he stated. robin rolled her eyes. "i had to walk." she replied, walking over to him and helping him with the tapes. "your girlfriend didn't bring you?" steve asked, looking at her. robin shook her head. "she never answered my call." she told him as she also began stacking. "ooh, what did you do?" he asked, placing the rest of the tapes on the trolley beside him. robin rolled her eyes once again. "nothing. she's probably still sleeping and i didn't want to disturb her because i'm a good girlfriend." she said matter-of-factly. "and," she added, picking up one of the tapes from the shelf. "i found our morning movie." she held it up. "doctor zhivago." she smiled before running behind the counter and flipping the tv on. she was about to place the tape in the vcr when she realised she recognised the scenery on the tv. she quickly turned the volume up, the loud volume making steve walk round and face the tv.

"why are you watching the news?" he asked. "shh!" robin shushed, waving her hand around at him. "this was the last place the teenage girl was seen, at her home on oak street at approximately 11:15pm last night." a news reporter spoke on the tv. "the hawkins high student, y/f/n, was last seen by her parents in her house before they left to get some food out of a nearby store. she hasn't been seen since." the reporter added. robin felt her heartbeat quicken. "if anyone has any information on y/n's whereabouts, they should call the number on screen right now." the tape slipped out of robins hands and dropped to the floor with a thud. her breathing quickened as tears formed in her eyes. "hey, hey, hey, robin." steve said, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "she could be okay. she could've just... stayed at a friends house and not told anybody." steve tried to calm her down but robin shook her head. "or, she could be..." robin bit her lip to stop herself from crying but steve nodded, already knowing what she was going to say. "hey, come here." he wrapped his arms around her as she sobbed in to his shoulder. "there's no point in worrying." he said. "there will be a search party tonight at 9pm gathering outside of the family's home." she heard the reporter say. "see? we'll go tonight." steve told her, patting her back before letting her go. "you okay?" he asked. robin nodded and wiped away her tears.