16. limping & arguments

"Are you sure you're okay with staying here until I get back?" Brandi asked Drew, who was just laying down on her couch and mindlessly flipping through TV channels.

"Yeah, I'll be alright."

Drew had stayed the night- or in this case, he stayed from 4 AM to this very moment- and it was a Tuesday which was the day Brandi would usually go out to breakfast with Nate.

"Okay, but if you get hungry, help yourself to anything in the fridge," Brandi said, checking her purse to see if she had forgotten to bring anything. "Except for the tub of cookies and cream ice cream. It's mine and you are not allowed to have any."

"Got it. I can eat anything except for your ice cream," Drew replied, letting her know that he was listening to her.

"Alright, I'll be back in a few hours."

"Take your time. Nate's your boyfriend after all."

Brandi nodded her head and walked out the front door, making sure to lock it before she closed it, because she knew that Drew would be far too lazy to actually get up and lock it himself.

He was only staying at her flat because he genuinely liked it there and there were no little sisters to irritate him. Brandi was a little irritating, but she was tolerable and Drew didn't really mind when she was being annoying. In fact, he found it quite entertaining.

Brandi was already walking over to the place where she was supposed to meet up with Nate and the sun was beating down on her head and scorched the skin on her arms. She felt like she was being roasted on the sidewalk and regretted wearing jeans when she could've worn shorts instead.

After a few more minutes of walking, Brandi spotted the blonde that she loved to pieces sitting on a bench by the bus stop and scrolling through his phone.

"Nate!" she yelled, surprising a couple walking nearby, but Brandi didn't care. She never cared about being too loud, or too annoying, or too much to handle, because she was just being herself.

Nate jumped at the sound of her voice and nearly dropped his phone onto the pavement of the sidewalk, but when he looked up to see his girlfriend running towards him, a smile overtook his face and he instantly got up to pull her into a hug.

Another thing they had in common was that they loved showing other people how in love they were. Brandi nor Nate cared whether their public displays of affection bothered anyone or not, because that's just how they were and it's always been like this.

"Someone misses me," Nate said, pressing his lips to her temple.

"I'm hungry," Brandi said, softly and Nate laughed. He held onto her hand as they crossed the street in search of a place that served breakfast.

Nate noticed how Brandi was walking and started to worry a little. She seemed to be having a bit of trouble, judging by the way her walk was more of a limp.

"Brandi? What happened?" Nate asked, pointing to the band-aid on her ankle.

"Oh, I tripped last night and probably scratched it on a rock or something," Brandi lied. She didn't want him to know that she was out with Drew at her secret hangout spot. "It still hurts a little."

"I can sort of tell," Nate replied, watching her trying to catch up to him. He was a fast a walker and Brandi took small steps, making it generally hard for them to walk together. It was either she would walk faster or Nate would slow his pace, but considering that she was injured, he figured that he should slow down and help her a little. "You know, we don't have to go out. We can always eat at your place, or my place."