19. breakups & realizations

It had been three days since the incident at the party and Brandi was pretty much back to normal, with a little help from Drew and his constant comforting.

Brandi still hadn't talked to Nate, since then. It wasn't like she wanted to, but she did want an explanation.

"Brandi, are you alright?" Drew questioned. They were both in her bed, cuddling, and watching some movies on Brandi's laptop. She just seemed a little off and Drew couldn't help but notice. "Are you thinking about Nate?"

"Yeah. Kind of," Brandi replied, looking down at the fabric of Drew's vest that was all bunched up in her hand. She hated her bad habit, but Drew thought it was the cutest thing ever. "Can you blame me, though?"

"No, but it's still a little concerning."

Brandi sighed. She hated how she was so hung up on this, but she had the right to be. A couple years of her life had just gone down the drain after one stupid night. "I'll be making breakfast if you need me."

"I want to help," Drew replied, rolling out of bed and hugging Brandi from behind as she tried walking to the kitchen with him latched around her waist. It was times like this she found Drew extremely adorable, but it was too early for her to care. Besides, she didn't really mind, because he was always clingy like this. The only thing that made it awkward was that he was much taller than her, and he was practically squatting.

"Ice cream for breakfast? Really Brandi?" Drew questioned as Brandi opened the freezer and pulled out a tub of ice cream from her unlimited stash.

"You know me too well to be surprised about this."

"At least share."

Both of them walked over to the couch and sat down, getting comfortable in each other's arms again as Brandi handed Drew a spoon. They cuddled every chance they got, which is, pretty much, why a lot of people suspected that they were together, but, of course, they weren't.

Drew wasn't really sure anymore. He wasn't sure if Brandi and Nate were still dating, or if that night ended things between them for good. Drew didn't really want to ask her about it, because he knew she would just get upset all over again.

The doorbell cut off Drew's line of thought and he automatically got up to answer the door, because he knew Brandi was too comfortable on the couch to even think of moving.

"Oh, hi Nate," Drew said, awkwardly, slightly surprised to see him standing there on the other side of the door.

"Drew," Nate replied, breathlessly and then pausing for quite a long time. At least, it was long enough for Drew to notice. "I didn't think you'd be here."

"Well, I am. I've been here for the past few days." Drew wanted to make a point that Nate had been replaced. Maybe not officially, but he just assumed that Nate and Brandi weren't together anymore and that was good enough for him.

"Oh," Nate replied, pulling the sleeves of his denim jacket even lower to cover his hands. "Is Brandi in? Can I talk to her, please?" he pleaded and it already looked like he was about to cry.

Drew didn't really want Nate to talk to Brandi, because he knew it would only end in tears. And there was still that possibility of them patching things up and becoming all couple-y again, but Drew knew what the right thing to do was and he was a sucker for doing the right thing. "Alright."

He retreated back inside the house and pulled on Brandi's arm, making her get up and follow him to the door.

"Nate?" she said, like she was completely unsure. "What are you doing here?"