This Wasn't an Accident

••THREE YEARS LATER••

Jacob and I got married and moved to Tokyo, Japan. I gave birth to a boy, James Oliver. He looks so much like Jacob. Jacob's family is having a get together and that's where we're headed now.

"Abigail, get James. He keeps crying." Jake says, turning the volume up on the tv in the hotel. "Damn it. Jacob, why can't you take care of him too? He's your son!" I say. "You want me to take care of him? Fine." He says. Jake's youngest sister, Theresa stops fixing my hair and we stand up. "What are you doing?" She asks. June grabs James and protects him. He knocks her out of the way. "June!" I grab her and try to take James away. He pushes me too and takes James away. "Jacob, put down my son. Let him go!" I yell. We run after him and watch him throw James into the pool. "James!" I try to jump into the pool to save him but I was pushed. He dragged me by hair back to the room. He barricades us into the hotel room and leaves. Theresa looks at the digital clock. "Abby, nobody will see him. Nobody can save him. It's too late. It's 10. It's dark. Nobody goes out to the pool at night!" Theresa panics while I sob. "Momma, I called 911. They'll be here soon." June says, crawling into my lap. "Wait, you called 911? How? When?" I ask "I called when Jacob took Jimmy away." She says, hugging me. Ash hugs me too and soon we hear the sirens wailing.

We buried James two days after he died. We buried him in my family lot in Georgia beside my mother and father. I'm going back to Japan to get some of our things then I'm coming back. Vince decided he wanted to watch the kids so he gets to babysit while I pack. It isn't easy for me to step foot into the house. It hurt. My heart hurt and I started to shake. "My sweet baby...." I whisper, walking into James' room. I leave everything in his room the way it was then walk into June's room. I pack some of her clothes and pictures. Ash's room is next and do the same, but packing some toys too. I then walk to my room and grab my clothes by the handful. I stuff them into a bag and grab my pictures.

I filed a divorce and pressed charges on Jacob. I moved the kids and I back to L.A. and now I'm currently looking for a place to live. No luck yet. Sucks. But I keep looking. I'm going to make this right. I need to for my kids and for myself. We go back and forth between Vince, Nikki, and Tommy, living in their houses and taking care of them. The kids enjoy playing with their kids so they're happy and it's great. They don't have a worry in the world. I want to be them.

I sit on the couch, exhausted, and watch Gunner, Juniper, Storm, Decker, and Ash run around. Frankie-Jean sits beside me and plays with my hair. "Frankie, do you want me to fix your hair instead?" I ask, placing her in my lap. She nods. I run my fingers through her soft baby hair and start a little braid. Right as I finish it up, Nikki walks through the front door with pizza. "Hey, guys." He says. "Dad!" All his kids yell and hug him. "Hey, Nikki." I say, taking the pizza from him and setting it on the counter. "How're you? You look tired." He says. I nod. "Yeah. I'm super tired. Six kids are a handful." I sigh. He laughs and hugs me. "Go take a nap. I'll watch over them." He says, keeping me close.

"Okay, I'll be in the room. Enjoy your dinner." I say, heading for the stairs. "Hey, Abby? Thank you. I appreciate what you're doing for us. I really do. I've missed you. Now you're here and I'm glad I get to see my best friend everyday." Nikki says with his sweet smile. "Anything for you, Nikki." I say. I walk up the stairs to my room that I shared with Ashtyn. I take off my jeans, leaving my T-shirt on, and climb into bed. As I close my eyes, I hear the kids screaming and laughing in the distance. The door opens and I look at who enters. "Hey, Nik. What do you need?" I ask. "Nothing. I just wanted to be here with you." He says, sitting on the bed next to me. "Oh. Well, here I am." I say, sitting up. "I know." He chuckles. I yawn and lay my head on his shoulder. "You're trying to keep me from napping." I mutter, grabbing his left hand and putting it up to mine. "You're so whiney. You can nap. I'm just staying here, small hands." Nikki says, pulling me closer to him.

Something in my heart exploded. It makes me feel warm and makes me smile. It makes me do something stupid when the man holding me is married. I grab his face in my small hands and kiss him. I knew it was a mistake before I even did it, but I couldn't stop myself. It was like I wasn't controlling myself. Nikki was stiff for a minute and I knew. I knew I ruined our friendship and that he wanted me gone. I start to move away from him, but he stops me. It wasn't a swift motion, not something I've seen him do before. He was nervous. He grabs my wrist after losing his grip on my waist. "Abigail...don't leave me. Not again." He whispers so softly. "Nikki, I made a mistake." I say. "A mistake..." he stares off. "You're married. You love Donna, right?" I ask. "I want you, Abigail Cobb. I want you." He says, looking into my eyes and keeping my gaze fixed on his. His hand goes to the back of my neck and brings my face closer to his.

"N-Nikki, we can't do this. This is bad. We can't. What about you-" I start to say, my fingers latched to the belt loops of his pants. "I don't care. Abigail, make love to me." He says then gently kisses me. I knew it was an asking kiss. He wanted to make sure I wanted it. I took control of him and start to take his shirt off. I trace the tattoos on his chest and kiss his neck. He takes my shirt off and rolls me over. "You're so beautiful. I've waited for so long to do this." He says. "Nikki, we've done this before." I say, sitting up on my elbows for support. "What?" He whispers, but I kiss him to get his mind off of it. I wanted this moment when we weren't drunk.

We were both naked in my bed, breathless and sweaty. "Abby, how in the hell did I not remember fucking you before?" Nikki asks, running his fingers through my hair. "Drunk." I say, my eyes closed. Maybe this was the way Nikki and I were supposed to be. I've seen him and Donna fight. It was never good. They would be at each other's throats. Maybe this was my chance with my old love. Maybe, just maybe he and I could be together.