16 | Stars Will Fall

One step. Duck. Backward step. Leg sweep. Punch.

The training was excruciatingly repetitive, but it worked. Y/N was focused. She continued when she fell, even when the pain of the bruises swelled, even when her lungs ached with each breath she took.

Stamina was what Y/N needed. She only continued to take the beating because she feared for her life. The fear of losing everything made her block out the pain. In situations where she couldn't use her quirk, she had to be smart enough to survive. She needed to jump back onto her feet and do it repeatedly.

The young woman knew her powers were growing, and she had to be able to withstand them for everyone's sake, not just her own. For a moment of peace, she needed to focus on something else, even if it hurt.

"Hit me harder." Y/N encouraged, stumbling up from her knees. She winced, hearing her bones creak in protest. Her knuckles were swelling now, and she didn't know how much longer she could hold up. One more time. One more deflect.

I have to.

Tokoyami nodded, though he flashed concern. She was heaving for air, and her lip was bloodied. But that look in Y/N's eyes was something he couldn't deny. Pure determination, and in the other case, hopelessness. He did not want to hurt her, but it had to be done. They both knew it. Three hours of focus training was essential.

Shifting the weight of her body onto the balls of her feet, Y/N angled her knees to balance. She was sweating profusely, making her hands numb, her forehead dripping, and all she could taste was salt, parching her even further.

She lunged forward, arms winding, weightless.

Summoning dark shadow once again, the blackness screamed, causing Tokoyami to lurch forward. Y/N's fist slammed against the surprisingly complex apparition, and she winced. But just as quickly, she pushed her body to glance above to find the ghost forming a fist, heading straight for her. It flashed, and she groaned, forcing her body to move past its physical limits.

Could she even call on her quirk in a moment like this? A moment where she could not kill? There were endless routes to take, yet her instinct was always destruction. The thoughts consumed her mind in panic, causing her to hesitate.

She could end it all with one head tilt, with one snap of her fingers. It was easy, way too easy.

"Y/N!"

She snapped back to reality at the urgency in Tokoyami's voice. And just as she threw her arms in front of her, pain ricocheted through the bones withstanding the blow. Her breath could only leave in the form of a gasp; the air siphoned from her lungs. It was over when her bare feet left the floor.

Y/N flew across the foam mat, landing at the end of it in a heap. She coughed, feigning for air, wanting to stand back up but only mustering enough strength to roll onto her back. Her spine felt on the verge of snapping. Now that the battle was over, the ringing in her ears subsided, and she was left with Tokoyami's dumbfounded silence.

She heard him patter toward her. Not wanting him to worry, she forced a laugh.

"Okay, okay." Y/N raised her hands in mercy. "Thats enough."

"Are you alright?" Tokoyami asked, casting a shadow across her frame as he stood above her, blocking out the blinding lights that caused her to squint.

"Yeah..." She exhaled, grateful that her heart rate was beginning to slow back down. Her hands didn't feel hot anymore. She was alright.

And, she had felt herself change. It was so quick that even Tokoyami wouldn't have noticed. Nobody would have because they were not her. Regrettably, chained cavernously inside her heart— Y/N always knew this moment would finally come.