23 | The Beginning of the End

Taking a step back, Y/N stared Dabi down. She watched as he opened his arms and presented the purring black cat to her. "I beat you to it." He teased, his stare more demanding than ever before, knowing he trapped her, knowing he had bested her.

A setup. How long had he been watching her?

"What are you doing here, Dabi?" Her question was laced with venom. She loathed him yet could not turn away. On the inside, she was terrified, and her mind was blank, but she could not take her eyes off him and couldn't configure why. One second of hesitation could prove fatal, and one second could result in her death.

"We need to catch up."

After setting the cat back down, Dabi sauntered over to Y/N with a smirk on his lips. "Nice costume, hero."

Y/N remained silent. Her mind was blank, and she didn't know what to do; she didn't know how to act. This time, seeing Dabi struck fear in her heart, even after everything she knew about him now, what he'd done, what he'd already said to her. Even after everything they went through together.

Just act like before. Try and get information.

"You don't like it?" She scoffed, her initial dread fizzling away when she remembered how she had acted around him before. Still, it had been so long, and so much had happened to her since then. Months passed, and she changed, even if he hadn't.

"Oh, I do. It's very flattering, you want people to see you huh?"

"I think its conservative enough." Y/N shrugged, unable to think of much else when he invaded her personal space with ease, so dominatingly.

"Not to someone who knows your body like I do." He was towering over her, holding her gaze, taking his hand out of his pocket to reach out and lightly tap her crown.

"What are you implying?"

Dabi shrugged, leaning in closer. "I just prefer you out of it."

At his words, from his proximity, the memory of the nights they shared filled her mind. Y/N could go the easy route. She could try and convince him that she still wanted him and wanted to be by his side. But something told her that Dabi did not come there to convince her of anything. His eyes were different than before, especially after glimpsing her in her hero attire.

"Why are you here?" She challenged again, more desperate that time. "Did your mysterious plans get foiled?"

"Quite the opposite."

"Where's Shigaraki?"

Dabi didn't answer.

"There's no reason for you to be here, then. What do you want from me? Information?"

"I just wanted to see you for one last time."

One last time? Her blood ran cold. To Y/N, his indifference about the original plan worried her. All those threats, all that trauma, causing her to watch her back and treat those who tried to help her with malice.

Alarm bells were blaring in her head, and all she could do was revert back into a defensive mode, deciding to focus on the more trivial things—their toxic relationship, if she could even call it that. Just act like before.

"We aren't having sex." Y/N scoffed.

"Oh why not? Just one more time." He whispered, his lips coming to touch the shell of her ear.

"No." Y/N's voice was firm this time. She would never do that with him again, even if her body was tempted to react. Too many mistakes were made with him, and she would never betray Hawks by giving her body to another man, especially a villain. One that was only using her, a man she knew nothing about. Dabi had already caused her months of turmoil, and now she had no reason to use him in return, especially if he wouldn't budge on admitting his plans.