27 | Long Time Coming

Their summoning came bright and early. Hawks had to practically drag her out of their bed, and it did not come easily. She was feisty and sassy, undoubtedly rectifying how she truly felt. It was in the way she hesitated when she thought he wasn't looking. How she chewed on the inside of her cheek, the darkness in her eyes. Even if she would never admit it, Hawks knew Y/N was terrified.

Something inside of her refused to settle. It was like a warning, a predisposition that the night she just shared with Hawks may be their last, that everything she'd ever feared was about to become a reality. Nothing felt right; nothing made sense. And there had never been a moment in her entire life where her gut had proven her wrong.

Rationally, it was the best move, but it was also hasty. Y/N knew there were things they didn't know, things that the enemy was concealing and could result in unpredictable consequences.

War.

That was something Y/N wanted to retch at the thought of—but now it was reality.

It was so haunting that it took all her effort to change into her costume. Hawks helped her, and he fastened the gold-plated corset tighter around her than he had ever done before. How he tended to her was really out of encouragement. And for a moment, it helped. But it did not satiate the dread that was threatening to suffocate her.

With one more glance in the mirror, Y/N's eyes darkened. There was no going back now. The weight of her 'crown' felt constricting, as if it belonged to someone else. There was no way it was made for her, even if everyone around her assured it was.

Hawks embraced her from behind, locking eyes with hers in the reflection. He kissed her shoulder, his breath faint but consoling. "It will all be okay."

Fresh were her wounds, and it frightened her to know that the only person who attempted to heal her scars would not be beside her as he had before. For reasons still unknown, but suspected.

"I hope so," Y/N replied, still not knowing if it wouldn't be.

Nothing would ever be the same. Not after being forced to kill. Not after she let her quirk reach its fullest potential.

Forced, unholy, destructive.

∘∙∘☾𖤓∘∙∘

"Don't ever think you have the upperhand," Y/N warned as they descended the elevator to the headquarters.

"The same for you, Dove," Hawks said. His only approval was the corner of his lips faking a smile. He was nervous, not for Y/N, but for himself. For so many years, he had been so sure in himself, in his abilities. But now, knowing what they were going to face, realizing that he had a woman he loved— caused him to falter. And it might make him do so at the worst possible moment.

Y/N's face was blank, even if she was semi-comforted by his presence. What would she feel once she was stationed elsewhere?

"I'm serious."

Hawks only looked at her, waiting.

"I have a bad feeling," She finally admitted through gritted teeth. As if they had a choice, as if they could turn back around and leave everyone else behind. It would be selfish, and if she did, Y/N may never be able to forgive herself. The love she now had would not be worth it if that meant abandoning the forces that brought them together.

Everything was happening the way it was meant to. Even if she hated it.

"I know." He gripped her hand, massaging her palm, flipping it over, and then lifting it to his lips in a kiss. She tried to force a smile as the doors pried open. It wasn't fair. Their relationship had reached the most blissful fruition possible, and they couldn't enjoy it for more than a few days. Her heart would have swelled if he had done that in any other moment.