28 | Valkyrie: Rising

Omg, I'm sorry this took so long to put out! Truth is I could not decide how to go about the chapter and I'm not satisfied still! I will have to come back and edit later. I hope it all makes sense and I hope you enjoy! Warning: a lot of violence!!

∘∙∘☾𖤓∘∙∘

Destruction. Chaos. Her true form. How wonderful it felt to experience such energy, to stand above the rest as the unstoppable, awakened one. It was just a breath away. All it took was submission, but she was battling within herself.

For so many years, she was desperate to conceal the truth of her powers. All along, she never wanted to unleash them. But maybe now was the right time.

Her love was bleeding, and in turn, so was her heart. If not now, then never. If not now, then she would regret it.

It was time to finally show them her namesake.

"You are better than his." Metal Fists's voice rang in her mind, in her ears, reverberating through her entire being. His voice once made her feel like a little girl again, like an innocently bright and curious daughter, but not this time. No, he couldn't possibly understand what she was going through, what she suffered after he left.

"Let me, Dad!" she screamed into the darkness, begging the voices battling inside her head to stop. "Let me..."

"Nothing will be the same afterwards."

"I have to." Her lip quivered. "To save everyone."

"Even if it makes you a killer?"

"I already am," Y/N admitted, not ashamed at that time. Justice had to be served. It was kill or be killed. It was war. Nothing in her past mattered; what mattered was the present. What mattered was the death in front of her. So much death. So much disarray. "Its war, and I don't know if we'll win."

If only there were more time. If so, she might have been the cure instead of the disease.

"It seems you already have your answer."

Then, her mind became clear. There were no thoughts, just darkness, revenge, and survival. A shallow lake rippled with each step she took, and memories of the past flowed in waves behind her. The people, the hardships, the revelation, all came rushing in.

In her next breath, Y/N found herself at the mine entrance. The smell of copper filled her nose, and she saw her father's axe leaning against metal stacks, waiting to be split. It was the same mine as her last dream but felt much more empty. Alone, without her father's presence.

The stillness was chilling. The air was brisk, and the trees were bare. Patches of snow littered the forest floor, and the mine was an eyesore, a dark tunnel that promised nothing but fear.

Finally, she gained the courage to peer into the mine shaft. That familiar silver light awaited her, swirling like an orb, beckoning her to enter and light up the darkness.

Acceptance. Accept me. Become.

As Y/N stepped forward, a shrill scream echoed against the carved walls. It sounded like her from the past, when she'd been ashamed of who she was. But that was no more. She had to be strong; she wanted to be.

Palms facing up with credence to the light, she crossed the threshold and let it consume her. It was time. No more guilt. No more shame.

The chaos she had predicted in her dream only the night before was now a reality. A rush of awareness stilled down her spine and across her entire body—the remembering, the understanding, the acceptance.