03 | Dizzy On The Comedown

For a moment, the hero and the young woman stared at each other, finally taking the other in. Hawks held her wavering gaze, pupils that glistened with uncertainty, her body language contradicting every single word that flew from her mouth. "I'm going home. Don't follow me."

What Y/N was really thinking about, Hawks didn't know. All he saw was a powerful young woman who was incredibly distraught, realizing that her life might never be the same. He had been in that position once before, one where there was only a single option—become the hero the agency wanted you to be or an enemy to them all.

Not everyone was cut out to be a hero. Hawks could tell that Y/N L/N had the potential. He tried to view her through lenses that weren't clouded by attraction, yet he was unable. Why did she have to be so beautiful? From the moment she had walked into the conference room he was intrigued.

Hawks had never faced a problem like this before. Why now? Whatever he was feeling was going to interfere with his work. That was what this strictly was, business. Nothing more and nothing less.

"At least let me walk you home."

"I don't need protection."

"It's not for protection, kid." Hawks practically hissed, more infuriated with his own revelation.

Y/N's eyes narrowed. "Don't call me that again."

"Oh? Did I touch a nerve?" He laughed somewhat moronically, even if it was to relieve his own nerves and tension. "You're going to stay here while I go grab my things, and I'll make sure you get home safely."

Y/N opened her mouth to retort, insulted by his sudden jurisdiction.

"No buts and ifs. This is your life now..." Hawks turned, peering over his wings to shoot her a glare. "Get over it."

Whether or not she liked it, the winged hero was right. Tears stung her eyes as she watched him disappear around the hall's corridor to God knows where. Why did he suddenly act so cold with her? Maybe she had touched a nerve within him. He didn't seem to be used to rejection.

Y/N glanced around her. There was not a single person in sight. Her first instinct was to flee, but she resisted, knowing any attempt to leave without Hawks would be futile. Turning his back on her for a moment was trustworthy. And truly, Y/N did want to trust him. She wanted to trust them all, yet her broken heart was screaming with resistance.

The system was already broken, and she knew there was no way to fix it. The young woman clenched her fists together, resisting the urge to begin sobbing. All this was so unfamiliar, so overwhelming.

Instead, Y/N forced her mind to think of something else. Her mother... Y/N's poor mother. She had probably viewed the altercation on the news. She was probably crying in the living room, cursing society in its whole, knowing she had lost her daughter to the one thing she had tried so hard to protect her from.

Y/N needed to get home and speak to her mother. She wanted to apologize. She wanted to beg for her mother's forgiveness and resist the invitation, while the other half of her hoped the inevitable would turn into an opportunity. If Y/N could gain one thing from this experience, she hoped it would be something to help her family.

Y/N was starting to spiral, trying to analyze every possible scenario that awaited her.

Fuck this. She practically snapped, raising her hand to wipe the stray tears away. Hawks was taking forever, probably discussing where the Association should keep her. After everything, after tonight, Y/N knew she wouldn't be able to live at home.

Out of spite, possibly pettiness, she stormed down the hallway and into the main lobby. Y/N was going to wait for Hawks outside. Even if she decided to start walking home he would most likely chase after her. He was only doing this because he had to. He was the only other hero her age, remotely close even.